How to do a firmware update on Cisco 877 DSL router

Hi,

It's mentioned as a feature in the documentation and on the Cisco website that it's possible to update the DSL firmware of an 877.

Does anyone have information on how this is done? Can it be done by the end user?

Just having some trouble tracking this info down.

Many thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

Steve schrieb:

It can be done by anyone with administrative user/pwd on the device.

It's quite straightforward.

- login vial telnet/ssh

- enable to priviliged mode

- "copy tftp: flash:" and you will be prompted for IP address, remote filename and local filename on the flash and before copying you are prompted if the flash filesystem should be erased before.

The router's firmware is called the "IOS Image". The DSL Modem firmware should be copied to flash: the same way, but

*NOT* erase flash: before copying! The IOS is looking for a file with a given name in flash: during the booting sequence.
Reply to
Uli Link

So when I update the firmware there will be a new file in flash (the new firmware one) ? Because currently there is only the IOS listed. Or when uploading will the original firmware be replaced by the new one?

How will the IOS know which version of the firmware to load. If there is one in flash will it use this by default rather than the original?

Are there any commands (other than sh ver) that will give me more info on this?

Thanks! Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve schrieb:

Yes.

No. You can always revert to the IOS embedded FW by simply deleting the FW update image from flash:

Yes.

sh dsl int atm0

Reply to
Uli Link

Many thanks for the quick replies to my questions - it's much appreciated.

I've looked at that show command in the past but not for info on the FW ... It seems to me that the DSL firmware may be included in the IOS - would that be correct?

I've been looking at the following page:

formatting link
This shows the latest FW as being 2.5.27 and mentioned IOS version

12.4(4)T

I have IOS 12.4(6)T installed and the FW is listed as 2.5.42

sh dsl int atm0 shows the following: Init FW: embedded Operation FW: embedded FW version: 2.5.42

However, I can't find any info on this version of firmware on the Cisco site (maybe I need more access or I'm not searching for the right terms) ...

Does what I've suggested make sense? Or do I still need to pick up a FW file to update ... ... and on that note where would I find differences in FW revisions?

:) Thanks again, Steve

Reply to
Steve

The firmware is integrated with the IOS image.

So when you upgrade IOS you will get whatever firmware version was integrated with that release

Reply to
Merv

That makes sense given what I've seen - thanks ...

So is there somewhere I can find differences related to the firmware revisions?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

I have never seen anything published.

The only thing I have seen is the feature to switch to a secondary dsl firmware version

formatting link
Here is a firmware to IOS mapping document:
formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for the links. I guess there's no real need of having a secondary firmware version, but it's all good info none the less ...

Thanks to the replies and help with this - all makes sense now .... :)

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.