PPP multilink on Cisco877?

I'm trying to configure ppp multlink on a Cisco 877. According to the feature navigator on the Cisco website & the interactive help on the router, it should be possible to enter the command:

router(config)#interface Multilink1

but it gets rejected as an unrecognized command.

Does anyone know if this is actually an available feature? I have spent the last hour trawling through cisco.com & can't find anything that answers it definitely either way. No bugs that seem relevant either. It's Advanced Security IOS, 12.4(4)T1

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Al
Loading thread data ...

What would you multilink on a single-interface router? Perhaps that is why they took it out? (I'm sure they have to cut out quite a bit out of IOS on these little tiny routers).

It is a valid command on bigger routers. I couldn't tell you on an 877.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

You may wish to investigate:

DETAILED STEPS

Step 3

Command or Action

interface multilink multilink-bundle-number Example: Router(config)# interface multilink1

Purpose

Creates a multilink bundle or enters multilink interface configuration mode.

The multilink-bundle-number argument is the number of the multilink bundle (a nonzero number).

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

formatting link

Sure enough - doesn't work on an 877. c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.T.bin

I have previously used I think

int dialer 1 encap ppp ppp mul

formatting link

Says that mlppp is in both advanced-security and advanced-ip-services releases.

Here is an 837 that I had a quick look at. I just typed the commands in, I DID NOT get it working since I do not have an ISP that supoprts MLPPP.

c837-k9o3sy6-mz.124-8.bin

interface Multilink1 description test no ip address ppp multilink ppp multilink group 1

interface Dialer2 no ip address encapsulation ppp ppp multilink !

Very odd I say.

Reply to
Bod43

Thanks for the replies, I have been looking into this & playing around on a few test routers we have. It looks like it is an IOS 'feature'. Although the feature navigator says it is in the Advanced Security release, you can't configure a multilink interface. You can however go so far in configuring a dialer interface for MPPP:

Router(config-if)#ppp multilink group 1 % Cannot put ddr interface in multilink-group

In the Advanced IP Services release, there is no problem in configuring the multlilink interface, interleaving, etc. We have decided to pay the extra & go for the Advanced IP Services feature set for this requirement as a result.

As an aside, we also have one of the new Cisco SB107 routers in to test & while that supports the multilink we need, it is more limited in some of the QoS settings we would like to see (can't set dscp via policy- or route-maps it seems)

BTW - we need to configure multilink for the interleaving, to run voice over the link.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Al

You could run Frame-Relay instead off PPP if the options are not available on the router. We have over 90 VoIP sites on low speed connections running perfect quality voice with FR.

James

Reply to
James

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.