Corrupted IOS Images??

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a 3640 from 12.2(16). I've tried downloading 2 different versions of the IOS (12.3(18), 12.2(34)) and can't get them to load.

When the router boots, it gives me one of two errors depending on the software version. It's either:

"Uncompressed image checksum is incorrect" or

"Pre and post compression image sizes disagree"

and then it goes into rommon.

However, when I copy the original IOS on to the router from my laptop, this IOS boots! I TFTP'd this from the router a few years ago when I bought it.

I'm getting the .bin images from cisco.com using the normal method of downloading from their website.

I'd suspect bad memory (the router has 128 MB) but the original image that works is actually larger than the other two versions I've tried.

I'm using TFTP when I have a working image in the router and xmodem when I don't.

Any ideas? Could I be corrupting all these images somehow?? Could it still be bad memory? I assume this is a 3640 and not a 3640A. How can I tell? Any help is appreciated.

-Stacy

Reply to
ssherman68
Loading thread data ...

Most likely. Why don't you use TFTP for the new images? The most likely cause for your troubles is that the images get corrupted along the way from Cisco's webpages to your router. Thus, what steps do you perform to get the image to the router?

If the new images are smaller, this is very unlikely.

sho version sho inventory sho diag

Regards, Christoph Gartmann

Reply to
Christoph Gartmann

on the CCO download site various checksums for each file are shown. for example there is a MD5 checksum.

download an MD5 checksum verifier for Windows and check that the MD5 checksum for the .bin that you downloaded matches what is shown on the CCO site for that file.

Reply to
Merv

Hi Crishoph,

Thank you for your help. I am using TFTP to get the images to the router when I'm not in ROMMON. Otherwise, I'm using xmodem with the console cable. I'm downloading the images from Cisco's website after using the software selector utility using IE on a Win 2003 machine. Then I use Hyperterm to connect to the router. I'm in the process of loading the original image back on so I can do a sho ver & verify that it's a 3640 and not a 3640A.

FYI, I took a tip and got an MD5 checker. The checksum from Cisco matches the file I downloaded so I'm not sure that the file is corrupt.

-Stacy

Reply to
ssherman68

Thanks! I followed your advice and downloaded an MD5 checker. I had printed out the checksum pages before I downloaded the software. The checksums do match.

-Stacy

Reply to
ssherman68

Check the memory requirements on the image you are downloading.

None

Reply to
none

Hi Stacy,

Are you able to successfully RE-upload your OLD (IE the original) IOS image under a different name (if there is enough FLASH), and then RUN that image? - If that upload fails then you are possibly looking at a FLASH related issue, or even some H/W issue that is not exercised during normal operations. - If that upload works, then you are probably looking at a TRANSFER related issue.

What TFTP S/W are you using and how large are ALL the images that you are trying to Upload.?

If an image is over 16MB in size, then some TFTP Servers & Client cannot correctly handle these. I use 3cdaemon (its freeware) for all Cisco related TFTP work and it works fine for me, however I am aware that there are several other TFTP programs around that have the 16MB file size problem.

Cheers...............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Stacy,

Can you provide the following.

The full IOS name that works. The full IOS name that doesn't work. and an output of show ver?

Reply to
Andrew

Hi Peter,

Hmmm, I haven't tried uploading it under a different name. I guess I could see what that does.

I've tried both xmodem from ROMMON and TFTP when I have a working image. Neither works. I'm using Wierd solutions TFTP Desktop (I've used the 3Com one in the past too).

Neither image is 16 MB the one that works is 11 MB. The ones that don't are around 7 to 8 MB and the MD5 checksums are OK.

-Stacy

Reply to
ssherman68

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the help, the IOS that works is c3640-is-mz.122-16.bin

IOS that do not work: c3640-is-mz.122.34.bin, c3640-is-mz.122.32.bin & c3640-i-mz.123.18.bin

I'm mostly trying to get the latter to work. The only thing I need on this router is straight IP and BGP so I don't think we need the 'is' versions.

Here is the show ver:

show ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3640-IS-M), Version 12.2(16), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Thu 06-Mar-03 20:28 by pwade Image text-base: 0x60008930, data-base: 0x6112C000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

BDB-GW uptime is 2 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System restarted at 00:00:00 utc Mon Mar 1 1993 Running default software

cisco 3640 (R4700) processor (revision 0x00) with 98304K/32768K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 15896889 R4700 CPU at 100Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0. SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp).

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 2 Serial network interface(s) DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled. 125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x3920

-Stacy

Reply to
ssherman68

The config register should be 0x2102

Reply to
Merv

where are you loading the new image to ?

flash or a PCMCIA card ?

If flash are you deleteing the current image and erasing the flash memory before trying to load new image ?

Reply to
Merv

Re: the config register. It's set that way because I have the console baud rate set to 115,200 so I can xmodem a new image in much less time.

I'm loading to flash. Yes, when I load the new image, it automatically erases the flash (there's not enough room otherwise).

I'm wondering if PCMCIA would change my luck. I don't have a card. Will IOS load from a PC card?

I also tried yet another image after going through the software advisor and no luck. The memory requirements for that one were less than what I had so it's not that.

-Stacy

Reply to
ssherman68

I would increase the flash memory so the oruter will hold two images.

That way you can tftp an new image in without removing the current image

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.