rate-limit - CAR

I'm trying to run some experiments with CAR.

First of all I tried to download an iso image from a server of my provider. I've got a constant download rate closest to the maximum bandwidth available. The most important thing was the constance. My line features are DW 640kbits/sec- UP 128kbits/sec

Then I started to apply CAR to all traffic.

The statement i've applied to the WAN inerface (dialer) was

rate-limit input 320000 3000 3000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

It means that I suppose that for those interface the average is 320 kbits/sec. The download rate was expected to go down close to 30 Kbytes/sec but the download rate remained fixed to 67 Kbytes/sec.

Where I was wrong? The rate limit seems not to drop anything because the sh int rate-limit says there are no dropped packets.

Help me to understand CAR for the simplest test one can run...

Which values should I put to see the download rate going down?

TIA Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like the CAR is not actually doing anything. I have used CAR on ethernet sub-interfaces before but not dialers. You may even need to apply it to the physical interface. I would browse the Cisco site to figure out where you should apply it.

Reply to
ben.carbery

Hi Alex. - tray this example

interface FastEthernet1/0 rate-limit input access-group 120 2000000 500000 500000 conform-action continue exceed-action drop rate-limit output access-group 121 2000000 500000 500000 conform-action continue exceed-action drop rate-limit output access-group 122 2000000 500000 500000 conform-action continue exceed-action drop

access-list 120 permit ip host 217.xx.yy.zz any access-list 121 permit ip any host 217.xx.yy.zx access-list 122 permit tcp any any eq smtp

Hope it helps

Manuel

Reply to
<MMagnin

There's nothing wrong with his config line - this only adds unnecessary complexity

Reply to
ben.carbery

I apllied the rate-limit to the ATM0 (the router allowed me to do that) but... nothing :-(

Where am I wrong?

Alex.

Reply to
AM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.