1720 and WIC-1ENET - Odd Issues

Hey, I'm having some sort of strange issues with a WIC-1ENET in a

1720. I'm running IOS 12.3(22) (c1700-y-mz.123-22.bin), and I have 8MB of Flash ROM. I don't have any other WIC's just this one WIC-1ENET. There are three scenarios that seem to occur:

1. Usually, the 10 Mbps interface is not recognized. By this, I mean that there is no e0 interface when it starts up. However, it *always* shows this:

Smart Init is enabled smart init is sizing iomem ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE MainBoard 0X00027A80 1720 0X000F3BB0 public buffer pools 0X00211000 public particle pools

0X0039 0X0000DC00 Card in slot 0 TOTAL: 0X0033A230

when IOS is loading. However, when it finishes loading it does not show the interface. It just detects in the one 100 Mbps port on the main board:

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

The WIC OK light is not lit in this case, nor are the LNK or FDX lights on the WIC itself. I have tried switching the WIC between the WIC slots, and this has happened for both of them.

1. The second scenario is that the WIC is detected, but the line protocol will not come up. This has only happened when it has been in WIC slot 1. I have tried manually setting the duplex, both on the router and on the switch its connected to. I don't think its a cabling issue, as the cable works when I connect it to the Fa0 port, and *sometimes* it will work, in my third "scenario" below. I have tried connecting to to a different switch and to an old hub we have, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

1. In the third scenario (and this has only happened twice), it works. This has only happened when the card was in the first WIC slot (0). The router detects the WIC, it has the Ethernet0 interface, and the interface will come up. I can ping to and from it as well.

What strikes me as really strange is that I have had all three of these scenarios occur, without me really changing anything. For instance, I took the router apart to make sure that nothing was visibly damaged or broken inside. It looked fine to me. So, I put it back together, stuck the WIC back in slot 0, plugged everything backed in, and powered it on. And it worked (the third scenario). After that I reloaded it, without changing anything - the startup-conf, the image, or the config-register. The WIC was not detected (scenario one). I then turned it off, and put the WIC in slot 1. When I turned it back on, scenario two occurred.

After powering it off and back on again, the first scenario happened (doesn't detect WIC).

I have tried removing the WIC and unplugging all cables, waiting for a few minutes, and plugging everything back in/turning it on (since it worked once after I took it apart). The config-register is 0x2922. I have tried different IOS images: c1700-y-mz.123-3i.bin, c1700-k8o3sy- mz.122-16a.bin, and c1700-bk9no3r2sy-mz.122-37.bin.

I have the output from show tech support available for "scenario one" (not detected) here: http://24.255.140.16:11888/notworking_showtech.txt and for "scenario three" (working) here: http://24.255.140.16:11888/working_showtech.txt. I would really appreciate any help or ideas, I'm getting rather frustrated with this. :)

Thanks for your time,

Oliver Garraux

Reply to
Oliver Garraux
Loading thread data ...

I think you either have a bad WIC card or bad router....

Reply to
Thrill5

:( That's what I was sort of afraid of. Is there any way I could tell which component it is? I'd hate to get another WIC and it turns out to be the router.

Thanks for your help

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Garraux

"Oliver Garraux" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

It's more likely your IOS. There are only certain versions that support the WIC-1ENET. I know that 12.2(11)T10 does. If you have limited memory 12.1(3) XT2 will support a single WIC in slot 0.

Reply to
Jerry Bacon

That's what I had originally thought when the router was running 12.2 (I don't remember the exact version). But all 12.3 IOS releases should support the WIC-1ENET, correct? Regardless, none of the 12.2T releases appear to be available for download from Feature Navigator. Is there some other place to download images from Cisco?

Also, would a wrong version of IOS be able to explain the inconsistencies in the behavior as far as detection the WIC/bringing it up go? I assume the memory wouldn't be an issue - the image I'm running obviously fits in the 8MB of Flash I have, and Output Interpreter said the memory utilization was like 20% or something.

Thanks,

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Garraux

"Oliver Garraux" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

The Software Advisor show 12.3(3i) as the minumum release to support the

1720 with WIC-1ENET.

If you have a valid login, it's possible to get almost any IOS version, clear back to some of the 11.x versions.

Reply to
Jerry Bacon

OK, I downloaded c1700-y-mz.123-18.bin, which is the latest maintenance release in that train according to Software Advisor. The WIC still wasn't detected though.

As far as downloading the images, I do have a valid login and can download (most) images. However, when I try to download 12.2(15)T16 IP for example, it says that the image is not available for download, and gives a link to

formatting link
provides more information.

Thanks for your help Jerry and Thrill,

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Garraux

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.