1720 help

I have a 1720 router that originally shipped with ios 12.1 on it. I bought a WIC-1enet that is not supported by that IOS version.

I have ios 12.3 now and a larger flash card. The shipping card was only

4 meg, I went to a 16 meg card to max the router.

I uploaded the ios image over ethernet and it passed the checksum and crc checks but the router doesn't boot into ios.

the bootstrap version says 12.0(3)T and it cycles through that two or three times and then it will either go to rom mon mode or it will continue to cycle until I hit control break to go to rommon mode manually.

I have a few versions of ios from my company's IT department (we have

1720's in the field for sales people)

and at this point I'm wondering if the flash card is bad or if something else is going on with this router.

The wic card is out of the router to make sure it's not messing with something in the setup.

I'm uploading the 12.3 rom again over xmodem to see if I had a bad load.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
cbtl
Loading thread data ...

Hi Frank, as I remember the Wic-1Enet is not supported by the 1720 at all. So there will be no software supporting it on that router. But I don´t know exactly you have to go through the datasheet of WIC-1Enet and look for the supported hardware

Reply to
Horst Wagner

It is supported with 12.2 ios, but at this point I'm just trying to get IOS to boot, the wic as yet has not been installed in the router yet. I don't want to install it until the IOS is at a sufficent revision to support the card

formatting link

Reply to
cbtl

Sorry, you´re right! This was a misunderstanding. Please load the original 12.1 image to your new flash-card to see if the IOS or the flash-card is the problem. Also if you have the router running with IOS on that flash-card it will be easier to upgrade cause you probably don´t have to erase the old one and so having a fallback. Sorry that I can´t tell you more.

Reply to
Horst Wagner

Here are some thoughts from a Cisco newby who has just upgraded the IOS on an 837:

Have you tried putting the 12.1 image on the new flash card to see if that boots? Is the IOS file the first in flash? Do you have another boot statement in the configuration file (or have you erased the config completely)? Have you checked for the ROM upgrade (these are called Rommon upgrades in the IOS upgrade page)?

Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Hodgson

I left the 12.1 cd at work so I'll take the router in and try 12.1 on the new flash card monday.

The ios file currently on the flash card is the only one there.

I've unset all the variables and synced it, I may be doing something wrong there (I'm fairly new to this series router)

I didn't know about rommon upgrades, I'll check that out.

Reply to
cbtl

For all those watching this thread, I thank you for the help.

some new developments, I went back to work and grabbed my 12.1 IOS backup.

I've uploaded it to the router and it loaded fine and booted correctly. Now the router has 16mb of dram on it, the default.

Could it be that I need to upgrade the ram on this router to hold a

12.2 or 12.3 ios?
Reply to
cbtl

for 12.3 , 32 M DRAM and 8M Flash

Reply to
Merv

ah, well that makes sense now that I looked at the memory specs again. hell at this point I might as well max the router out of ram and get that taken care of.

Reply to
cbtl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.