3640 latest 124-16 wont fit in flash

im trying to load the latest 3640 ios (c3640-jk9o3s-mz-124-16.bin), however with max 32mb flash i cant load it. it says not enough space on device. im currently running jk9o3s-mz-124-5a. on my linux box ls - l shows 34755788.

any ideas?

thanks

Reply to
Jay Franklin
Loading thread data ...

| im trying to load the latest 3640 ios (c3640-jk9o3s-mz-124-16.bin), | however with max 32mb flash i cant load it. it says not enough space | on device. im currently running jk9o3s-mz-124-5a. on my linux box ls - | l shows 34755788.

You can boot it by rcp (or ftp). I don't think tftp is practical unless big block support works. Note that whatever IOS image rommon uses as the helper to execute the rcp/ftp boot needs to be small enough for both itself and 12.4(13) to fit in memory. This obviously precludes using a recent jk9o3s image as the helper.

By default rommon uses the first flash image as the helper. You can change this by setting the BOOTLDR monitor variable. I stuck an old

12.0 IP-only image in flash to use as the helper and pointed BOOTLDR at it. I'm not sure there is room to have the last jk9o3s image that fit plus an image that can load 12.4(13); anybody know the smallest image that will work for the latter? Maybe with a PCMCIA flash card...

Note that configuring "boot system" statements from IOS does update the rommon BOOT variable as expected, but "boot bootstrap" statements do not update the BOOTLDR variable and there seems to be no "boot bootldr" even though it is mentioned in the documentation. Also, there is no "show bootvar" or "show bootenv" or such to see what the monitor thinks about the world from the IOS CLI.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

"Jay Franklin" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Hi,

Try erasing the flash with the "no-squeeze" option.

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame
3640 supports a maximum flash memory size of 32 MB = 32,768,000 bytes.

The ENTERPRISE/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES ( c3640-jk9o3s-mz-124-16.bin) image size of 34,755,788 bytes exceeds that amount.

It would seem that Cisco has posted an image on CCO that cannot be loaded onto a 3640.

If you have a support contract then ask the Cisco TAC to confirm.

Reply to
Merv

There was a thread on this earlier in the month: "have a 3640 with 32M memory. I was trying to load : c3640-jk9s-mz.124-16.bin"

One tiny thing for Merv, I would have thought that

32M flash contained 32 * 1024 * 1024 and not 32 * 1024 * 1000?

Anyway the image won't fit and you will have to choose a different one, or boot from an alternative source.

Choose one with fewer features that jk9s.

12.3.23 Enterprise plus 3des is only 22M.

Finally note that there is some file system overhead and the image that will fit in a 32M flash is a bit less than

32M.

sh flash

shows the true free bytes.

Reply to
Bod43

In article , snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Merv) writes: | | | 3640 supports a maximum flash memory size of 32 MB = 32,768,000 | bytes. | | The ENTERPRISE/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES ( c3640-jk9o3s-mz-124-16.bin) | image size of 34,755,788 bytes exceeds that amount. | | It would seem that Cisco has posted an image on CCO that cannot be | loaded onto a 3640.

Well, you can load it in the sense that you can rcp (or ftp) boot it; I tried the other day. I actually think it's kind of nice that they not stop releasing images just because the images got too big for flash, but then I'm not trying to use a 3640 for production. :)

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

thanks for all the responses. i suppose ill just boot it from ftp. i have a pcmcia card, but its only 20MB. afaik, the max pcmcia flash that the 3600 series supports is 20mb. is this correct?

thanks.

Jay

ps- it seems the latest 3620 enterprise/fw/ids ipsec 3des also doesnt fit into the max flash. just for the record.

Reply to
Jay Franklin

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Jay Franklin) writes: | thanks for all the responses. i suppose ill just boot it from ftp. i | have a pcmcia card, but its only 20MB. afaik, the max pcmcia flash | that the 3600 series supports is 20mb. is this correct?

That's certainly what the documentation says; I'd be interested to find out if it is false...

| ps- it seems the latest 3620 enterprise/fw/ids ipsec 3des also doesnt | fit into the max flash. just for the record.

Which one is that? I thought that feature set (or at least the plus version) wasn't available for the 3620 beyond 12.2 with 12.2(46a) being the latest at under 16M.

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Whoops. i meant the ip/fw/ids ipsec 3des w/o atm (c3620-ik9o3s6-mz.

123-23.bin).

yes, id also like to see if the 20mb pcmcia flash was the limit. id love to use a 40 or 64mb card with my 36x0 series.

thanks.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Franklin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.