Feature set codes IOS file images?

Hi, does any know where to find a list of the feature set codes for router IOS file names? I have searched high and low and can=92t seem to find this. You would think there would be a simple table somewhere. Something akin to the table I have found in several places regarding the IOS=92s memory location=85

Where the image file runs and is it compressed. f The image runs from Flash memory. m The image runs from RAM. r The image runs from ROM. l The image is relocatable. z The image is zip compressed. x The image is mzip compressed.

I=92ve noticed that the newer releases of the IOS have started using descriptive names for the feature sets. This is helpful to us occasional Cisco folks.

John

Reply to
John Heitmuller
Loading thread data ...

You need to think like a marketeer to be able to search for this ;-))

Look for IOS "packaging" - using IOS naming convention would be too mundane ...

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

The following is NOT exactly what you are looking for, but is related, and may help now or in the future:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Images | Types of Images Understanding Images | Image Naming Conventions (pretty much what you had already)

They seem to fall back to the following position:

In order to find out which Cisco IOS Software supports all of the features you plan to use, it is best to use the Cisco Software Advisor (registered customers only) , which allows you to search by feature(s) or by release, and it even allows you to compare two releases. Write down the different software versions that meet your requirements and that are compatible with your hardware.

For additional information on features and hardware support for any particular IOS release, refer to Cisco IOS Software. From this page, select the required IOS version under The Latest Cisco IOS Software Releases section. Next, click the Bulletins link and refer to the Cisco IOS Release Features and Hardware Support document.

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

There is some stuff in the release notes of each IOS rev. There have been some tables published, but they rapidly go out of date.

A big problem is that the feature set for one line of routers may or maynot include features at the same level on a different line.

Some are fairly constant like i = IP, s = Plus feature, k = crypto. But once you get to ios3k3 vs. ios1k9, then you get really shakey as to what is really in what.

The easiest by far to compare is in the Feature Navigator (cisco.com/go/fn) where you can diff features between any image on any platform. That is far more useful than learning arcane codes that haven't been in use since 12.3 was current like 3-4 years ago. The FN is your pal.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks guys for your responses. This was all helpful. The link the the feature navigator was particularly helpful. Thanks, John

Reply to
John Heitmuller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.