A couple of questions regarding IOS software

Hi,

I have now managed to get some access to the Cisco centre, but only seem to be able to download LD images, not the general images. That is, I can't see any for my router (837) in the upgrade planner. I am currently running. For example, I am now running on 12.4.5A, but am not sure on the real status (i.e, it it goot practise to use such a recent image)?

Does anyone know a document which explains the editions of the IOS software? For example, the differences between standard versions, and the IP/FW 3DES and IP/FW/PLUS 3DES versions?

Finally, if your router has a portion of memory called webflash: is this on a separate flash chip, or part of my flash? If part of the flash, is there any way to remove it and make the flash space larger?

Thanks. Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Hodgson
Loading thread data ...

Andrew,

Downloading LD (Limited Deployment) images is OK. It's the status Cisco assigns to newest software they publish. "GD" (General Deployment) software usualy way down from the current (for example, current LD image for 837 is

12.4(5a), and GD images for 837 are not available at all). Here is a link with a description of different "deployment" status:

formatting link
Different "editions" of IOS define a functionality included in your software. For example, if you do not need 3DES VPN, then you need a standard software. Same thing with a routing protocols, protocols, hardware included, etc. Another example - "standard" image may include IP only routing with RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF only, when "plus" or "adwanced" image may include IPX, AppleTalk, BGP, and ISIS.

When you choose an image, first you should look at the hardware requirements: flash and memory. Image may just not fit into your router or have not enough memory to run.

"webflash:" is just a different "partition" in your router's memory. New software releases separate areas where dofferent parts of the software resides.

Good luck,

Michael

formatting link

Reply to
CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

Is there a way of getting rid of webflash:? I don't need it as I am not using the old Cisco web configurator. I would ultimately like to install the full SDM in there so I can see what I am doing with specific commands I am entering, with this Webflash: gone I have more space in the flash and can manage it with 9 mb used for the IOS, but not with the webflash: partition. This partition is empty. I have tried squeeze webflash: and even erased the flash totally when updating the IOS.

Thanks for letting me know there were no general releases for the 837; that explains why I couldn't download any!

Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Hodgson

try:

erase webflash

squeeze flash

Reply to
Merv

Still there after doing this.

I also updated the IOS image and tried erase flash also.

Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Hodgson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.