Help needed with a Cisco 2620

Hi all,

The playing with different IOS images finally bit me. A little background: I have a home lab of a 2610, 2611, and a 2620. Switches are the 2912 and the 2924.

I have been trying to get encapsulation dot1q setup on the 2620-which is another question it itself. 9Everytime I try to to setup the sub-interface, the encapsulation commands are not available. The original IOS was c2600-i-mz.120-3.T3. I tried loading different IOS images with no luck. When I loaded a 7MB IOS, all I get now is:

SYSTEM INIT: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO BOOT THE IMAGE!

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc. TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info C2600 platform with 24576 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x371d9c Self decompressing the image : ################################################# ##########################################

Folks, I have been into ROMMON numerous times. I did ensure the original IOS was saved to my TFTP server and I reloaded it-through ROMMON.

The router is just now in a continuous loop-even though a dir flash: results in: monitor: command "boot" aborted due to user interrupt rommon 1 > dir flash: File size Checksum File name 3612344 bytes (0x371eb8) 0x515a c2600-i-mz.120-3.T3

Have I jacked-up the FLASH? The 2620 has an 8MB FLASH.

Help!

Regards,

James

Reply to
jwkrych
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps you need to get rid of the current startup config ???

The loader reads the boot commands contained in the startup config file.

from ROMMON set the config register to ignore the startup config

confreg 0x2142

reset

Reply to
Merv

Your IOS filename is missing the file extension in the "dir flash:" output.

During the TFTP transfer to flash:, did you leave the extension off when defining the destination filename?

Is there a boot statement referencing the filename with the extension?

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

I am guessing that the NVRAM must have some bogus data. Problem is that I have changed the config reg to ignore the startup and I still get the same problem!

James

Reply to
jwkrych

James,

Download the Cisco document

Hardware Troubleshooting for the Cisco 2600 Series Router

formatting link

follow the instructions in the Continuous Boot Loop section

Reply to
Merv

The key to this seems to be removing all of the network modules and WICS and that this will cause the router to reduces the value it calculates is required for IOMEM and thus allow the image to load

Otherwise you may have to temporaryily add max DRAM (from you other routers ?) to box to get it back up

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv,

Adding more memory fixed the loop. Funny, my 2610 had a more recent bootstrap ROM AND more memory. I got my 64MB RAM in today and I also got a new IOS that has encapsulation-this is my VLAN trunking router. The

16MB FLASH should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for the link. This home lab has proven to be an education in itself! I can't wait to start "playing" with my Windows 2003 Server and the network!

James

Reply to
jwkrych

G\\Thanks for letting us know that you we able to resolve your issue.

That information is useful to everyone

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.