Cisco VPN client and Remote Desktop

I use a Cisco VPN client on a laptop to connect to a client's network. I would like to be able to Remote Desktop into the laptop from another PC in my office. I can remote into the laptop fine until I connect to the remote network with the Cisco VPN client. Is there a setting in the Cisco's VPN client software to allow remote sessions while connected? If not, is there some other remote software I can use besides Remote Desktop??

TIA

Matt Atkins

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Matt, Let me repeat so I understand...You can connect fine to this remote machine until you establish a VPN connection with the remote office?

When you connect without being connected with the client VPN software are you connecting to a public or private IP address?

What about when you are connected via VPN? Do you try to remote to a public or private IP address?

It sounds like you are trying to remote to a public address (probably of the firewall) after connecting with VPN. The PIX gets confused about this. Let me know.

Reply to
amattina

I just reread your post. You might have split tunneling disabled on the client connection. In which case your laptop only talks to the VPN site. You need to enable split tunneling on the PIX for this client VPN.

Reply to
amattina

I don't have access to the PIX at the client site.

Reply to
Matt

In that case, you ask the client if they would kindly enable split tunneling for you.

If the answer is YES, then your problem is solved, probably without any change on your end (you might have to enable split tunnel in the client.)

If, though, the answer is NO, then you cannot do what you want to do -- and in such a case you should not look for ways around the problem, as you would be violating your client's chosen security policy if you did manage to find a way. When split-tunneling is enabled and you are connected to your client, then your client's network is vulnerable to whomever has taken over -your- computer and is using it as a "trojan horse" to attack your client.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Reply to
amattina

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.