Double VPN connection with Cisco VPN client

Hello, I use Cisco VPN client at work to connect to:

1. the *production* network, when I am in office
  2. the *office* network, when I am out of office.

Sometimes I need to connect to the production network when I am out of office. Ideally, I would like to connect to VPN 2 and then to VPN 1 (i.e. a VPN within another VPN). Is this feature supported by Cisco VPN client? [apparently, Windows XP integrated IPsec supports it, but then Windows XP does not support group authentication, which I need]

Thanks, Federico

Reply to
f.cozzi
Loading thread data ...

No, you can only have 1 VPN connection per PC at a time. What you "could" do is vpn to your office network then RDP to a PC then VPN from that PC to the production network. Thats assuming split tunneling is enabled, if split tunneling is not enable you obviously can't do that since you will loose connection to the PC.

Reply to
Brian V

Hello Brian, thanks for your reply.

I am thinking if I could work around the limit of 1 VPN connection per PC:

1. I install VMware and a WindowsXP guest within my WindowsXP PC
  2. I connect to the "outer" VPN with my "real" PC
  3. I connect to the "inner" VPN with my "virtual" PC
  4. I reach the "inner" VPN with my "real PC" by playing with the routing tables

Of course I will need to setup the virtual networking between my host and guest PCs in a clever way. Maybe I need both a NAT and a host-only network between the two.

Any thought?

Thanks, Federico

Reply to
f.cozzi

VMware still uses the hosts NIC cards, they do not have their own, they are virtual. When you install the VPN client it "shims" the TCP/IP stack. You will still run in to only one VPN sesion per host. Do you have another PC/Laptop available to you?

Reply to
Brian V

hehe, nice idea, and it can work.

I solve the problem with a cheep pix501 from eb@y. Thats fine for me because i don't need to open any vpn connection, the pix do all, but you need a fix IP address, maybe, that can be a problem in your country.

cu

Reply to
googlegroups

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.