IPSec VPN and adsl routers

We use XP SP2 clients with Cisco vpn client software v4.01.

Remote sites are usally setup with a Cisco 837 adsl router, either setup with box-box vpn to head office or as a standard nat'd router if it is shared with others not from our company. When setup as nat'd router the remote users each use the vpn client software to connect back to head office.

We are starting to have a lot of small 1-3 man remote sites wich are temporary in nature and dont warrant the cost/setup of an 837.

The problem we are finding is with basic routers not supporting more than 1 vpn client connection back to head office - as far as I can find out the 837's allow upto 10 concurrent vpn sessions.

I am trying to understand the marketing babble to find the cheaper basic routers that will support more of these type of vpn's.

So, using a cisco client software connection which is setup for ipsec over udp what is the correct terminology when looking for a router that supports multiple concurrent sessions of this type?

I am looking for something that supports approx 5-8 which would cover most, if not all of these smaller sites.

Reply to
jas0n
Loading thread data ...

jas0n schrieb:

If the IPsec is done by the clients instead of the router you can use a Soho97 instead of the 837. The main difference is the lack of 3DES hardware encryption, you don't need, if encryption is done client-side.

Reply to
Uli Link

Try using TCP encap on the VPN link (only done this on VPN 3ks, so may not be directly applicable).

each translation on the NAT router should be kept separate as they are different TCP links.

only drawback is that if perf really drops off for a user, it doesnt recover very quickly.

"Cisco" ? :)

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.