but the problem is not solved

can help my

thank you very much

Best regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

Try changing terminal programs. HyperTerminal is not the most reliable of terminal programs.

Also, check to be sure you are using the correct port name in HyperTerminal. PC port numbers often have little logic. For example, I have seen several computers on which the first external port was COM3:, and COM4: referred to an internal modem, and COM5: was the next external port.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

And as a suggestion I prefer to Use TerraTerm for all of my Console access to Cisco Devices.

formatting link

Reply to
nugsolot

I say:-

Hyperterminal WORKS.

It has poor features but if you type commands you will see the output. What more do you want today?

I have seen one problem with a VERY old version of HT. Say the one that shipped with windows 98. It did not create the Break signal. This of course is rather critical for password recovery but it is NOT what is stopping you from typing.

Even then the free download fixed it. The HT that shipped with later Windows is OK. W2000 and XP are definately good.

As a beginner with Cisco the /last/ thing you need to worry about is whether you have the correct trendy terminal program.

I use HT for enough to put in an IP Address and then connect by Ethernet for the rest. I have no need of a fancy terminal program for serial access since as soon as I have got an address I use PUTTY.

OK, What can be wrong?

Get a blue 9 pin to RJ45 console cable. Router ship with one.

HT configuration.

Default Cisco is:-

9600 No parity 1 Stop bit No handshaking

Correct COM port.

The router sends output to the console as it boots so initially don't worry about typing, just try to get the router to display ANYTHING. Turn it off/on every time you change any settings.

If you get garbage the speed is wrong. You will just have to try a few speeds. There are not too many to choose from.

If you have more than one COM port showing in the config you should get that sorted first.

In some ways, getting the serial port to work could be the hardest thing that you have to do. There are a lot of variables and it can be very hard to figure out what is going on.

If the speed has been changed it will be I guess most likely 19200 of 115xxx. Most people have a practise of NEVER changing it.

Maybe there is a doc on Cisco web site? Troubleshooting Console connections?

formatting link
a little.

One thing that would be good is a terminal emulator that assisted you to find the correct settings?

Reply to
anybody43

Uh-huh. Hyperterm has worked for *you* with the equipment *you* have tried.

Myself, I have encountered some systems on which I could not make a serial port connection with Hyperterm, but had no problem with Kermit or TeraTerm.

I wouldn't say that I have encountered this kind of problem on a large number of PCs, but then I haven't used particularily many PCs. If HyperTerm happens to work easily on a system that doesn't have anything else, then yeah, I'll use it long enough to configure the device for network access. But if I have problems then I'll install kermit95 (usually) or TeraTerm. Sometimes that's enough to get things working without further effort; and if it isn't then at least I'll *know* the problem is real instead of being left wondering whether the problem is real or just an artifact of HyperTerm.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I'm sure i am not the only one having problems with Hyperterm and garbled text outside the scroll window. Also in the latest versions.

Reply to
Joop van der Velden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.