Problems with PAT and IPSEC connectivity

Hi all,

I have a problem where port address translation kills connectivity to port

3389 through the ipsec tunnel. The Ipsec VPN has been built via cisco 837 routers. Each router connects to the internet.

Currently all remote sites normally connect to head office via an internet Cisco 837 IPSEC VPN. All remote sites are able to use terminal services, port 3389, through the IPSEC VPN.

However as soon as I place the command......... ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.3 3389 interface Dialer1 3389........ on the router, sites that would normally connect to the head office via the IPSEC VPN on port 3389 loose connectivity. But, then find that they are able to connect back to head office on port 3389 via the internet!!!!

Unfortunately I really need to be able to provide two means of connecting to head office via terminal services, one through the IPSEC VPN and secondly via the internet PAT should I be at home and someone needs me to dial in so to speak..

All help would be greatly appreciated

Todd

Reply to
Todd
Loading thread data ...

In article , Todd wrote: :I have a problem where port address translation kills connectivity to port :3389 through the ipsec tunnel.

:Currently all remote sites normally connect to head office via an internet :Cisco 837 IPSEC VPN. All remote sites are able to use terminal services, :port 3389, through the IPSEC VPN.

:However as soon as I place the command......... ip nat inside source static :tcp 10.0.0.3 3389 interface Dialer1 3389........ on the router, sites that :would normally connect to the head office via the IPSEC VPN on port 3389 :loose connectivity. But, then find that they are able to connect back to :head office on port 3389 via the internet!!!!

I don't know the equivilent in IOS at the moment, but on the PIX the way to handle this would be to add a "NAT exemption" for the flow. The format in the PIX would be to create an access list defining what should NOT be NAT'd and then to

nat (inside) 0 access-list ACLNAME

Your problem is that the ip nat static that you are doing is always applying, so the packets returning towards the remote sites are having their source IP's NAT'd to the Dialer1 interface IP. That might cause them to fall out of the definition of the IPSec tunnels (which is probably defined in terms of the -internal- IP address instead of the interface IP address).

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Todd

I think when you are doing PAT mapping your traffic is not included in Ipsec tunnel access-list . Make dialer interface ip address as source in interesting traffic on hub rtr and as destination on remote rtrs . Add this one access -list string to ur existing crypto acl .

HTH SH

Reply to
sarabjit.herr

Hi ,

You will have to bypass static Nat/PAT on the router by making a loopback 0 and throwing traffic ( terminal seerver private ip to remote networks ) around it . cisco site has good example for how to bypass static nat using route-map for Ipsec traffic .

HTH SH

Reply to
sarabjit.herr

Hi Sarabjit,

Well I have managed to find out how to fix this problem.

I had to add a route map to the nat translation

ip nat inside source static tcp 10.0.0.3 3389 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 3389 route-map rdp extendable

route-map rdp permit 10

match ip address 145

access-list 145 deny ip 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 145 deny ip 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 145 permit ip 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 any

But I also found out that you also have to make sure that you apply the nat rules in the specific order because like access-lists they work top down.. How I found this out was my blocknat route map was not working to allow traffic to go out to the internet be natted. What I took this nat statement off and put it back on placing at the top everything started to work again!!!

Ahhh I love a good outcome!!!!!

Reply to
Todd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.