Basic Net Flow Configuration

Hi all,

I should setup NetFlow for data collecting and exporting to a linux box. NetFlow should configured on the core e.g. CAT 6509 and the linux box is either SuSE or RH.

What are the basic steps to configure this. The primary reason to do this is for network planing, what are the top users, what percentage of network traffic they use ...and so on..

This is the first time for me to anything like this. So I'm searching for any good examples (config cat) and what open source tools can I use ...

I'm also glad about a good guide to solve this challenge...;-)

thanks...

udo

Reply to
udo
Loading thread data ...

Take a look at

formatting link
You can get a trail download and there doucmentation also show how to config Netflow on Cisco switches

Reply to
Merv

What your after is a Linux collector daemon first. Since you may have RH - then an RPM is easiest to install. For totally free open source software, check out Flow-tools.

formatting link
Caida's
formatting link
Then you need something to help filter the Raw netflow data to map to location and appliaction etc. I use JKFlow since the XML config is nicer to use
formatting link

Netfow setup on the router is a few lines of code. Something like.. int f0/0 ip route-cache flow ! ip flow-export 10.x.x.x ip flow-export source loopback 0 ip flow-export version 5 !

Reply to
jay

hi jay,

i would like to solve this with ntop ? this is included in SuSE. did you also know ntop ? maybe it seems to be working with netflow !?!?!

thanks ...

udo

Reply to
udo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.