837 Router problems

After looking through this and various Cisco websites I have exhausted my limited IOS knowledge. I aquired a 837 router a few weeks back (brand new in box)I have put april 2005 stable version from a friend and have tried numerous configs from various sites here included but I don't seem to be able to connect to all the places on the web that I used to, some sites work and some don't.Also my newsreader prog newsleecher doesn't connect either. Anyhelp would be appreciated,below is my IOS version and show run. This for a UK ADSL connection chap,pppoA PVC 0/38.

Thanx The Gooner

Cisco IOS Software, C837 Software (C837-K9O3SY6-M), Version 12.3(11)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

! version 12.3 no service pad service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec no service password-encryption ! hostname Router ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! no logging buffered no logging console enable secret 5 $1$DrBl$13B5a8M18UrLgacOcgrxo1 ! username Router password 0 xxxxx no aaa new-model ip subnet-zero ! !ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1 ! ip dhcp pool xxxxxx network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 10.10.10.1 dns-server 212.158.192.3 212.158.192.2

! ! ip name-server 212.158.192.3 ip name-server 212.158.192.2 ip ips po max-events 100 no ftp-server write-enable ! ! partition flash 2 10 2 ! ! ! ! ! ! interface Ethernet0 ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly hold-queue 100 out ! interface ATM0 no ip address no atm ilmi-keepalive dsl operating-mode auto pvc 0/38 oam-pvc 0 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 1 ! ! interface FastEthernet1 no ip address duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet2 no ip address duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet3 no ip address duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet4 no ip address duplex auto speed auto ! interface Dialer1 ip address negotiated ip nat outside ip virtual-reassembly encapsulation ppp dialer pool 1 ppp authentication chap callin ppp chap hostname xxxxxxxxxx ppp chap password 0 xxxxxx ppp pap sent-username xxxxxxxxxx password 0 xxxxxx ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1 ! ip http server no ip http secure-server ! ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer1 overload ! access-list 1 permit any access-list 1 permit 0.0.0.1 255.255.255.254 ! ! control-plane ! ! line con 0 no modem enable line aux 0 line vty 0 4 exec-timeout 120 0 login length 0 ! scheduler max-task-time 5000 end

Reply to
The_Gooner
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

You need to set the TCP maximum segment size and MTU on the dialler and ethernet interfaces as follows:

interface Ethernet0 ip tcp adjust-mss 1452 ! interface Dialer1 ip mtu 1492 ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

This is because the PPP encapsulation adds overhead and with the default settings the resulting packets can be too big and will be dropped.

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Kayes

Martin, Thanks for the reply I shall give it a go BUT I came across another problem when I powered up my router the initial setup was there nad not my running config and amongst the scrolling wors on the telnet screen were

% Crashinfo may not be recovered at flash:crashinfo

% This file system device reports an error

the router carrys on like I had just typed write erase. have you any thoughts before I try and load my config again.

Regards

The Gooner aka Paul

Reply to
The_Gooner

That's not good! If you do a 'show flash' can you see a file called crashinfo ? If so could you tftp it off and have a look at it in WordPad or notepad. Post the output here if it is not clear.

Did the router reboot okay previous to this crash?

What is the reason that you were running 'partition flash 2 10 2' in your config?

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Kayes

The contents fo show flash are as follows:-

System flash directory, partition 1: File Length Name/status 1 9073944 rommon [9074008 bytes used, 1411748 available, 10485756 total]

10240K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

System flash directory, partition 2: File Length Name/status 1 792 show 2 792 Prompt.test [1712 bytes used, 1833292 available, 1835004 total]

2048K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

The router did reboot fine the previous couple of times before I used that config would the line 'partition flash 2 10 2' cause the erasing of the config or is it something more indepth. I recall that with other configs I don't think I got this problem. The reason that the partition flash 2 10 2 is in there is because it was in there from the 'borrowed ' config. Will try previous config without this line and with your changes in place. Let me know what you think this all means cos its gone over my head by a little bit

Regards

Paul

Reply to
The_Gooner

Hey there,

If you can get to only some sites in the internet I would probably change my DNS server. I have had problems where I could not get to some sites so I changed my DNS server to a reliable server and wamo!!!!

In OZ a good dns is 202.92.65.252 and 254 secondary

Reply to
Todd

No, this sets up two flash partitions. I would leave this alone until you get it running. To fix it I think you have to erase all of the flash which will lose the image.

One reason that I have seen for 837's crashing on boot is that they run out of memory. Basically the docs are wrong. Some later software won't actually boot as advertised with the memory stated.

You can work around (at least in some cases) by changing the way the RAM (_NOT_ the flash) is used with the

memory-size iomem i/o-memory-percentage

command.

OR of course put the earlier image back.

If you can get it to boot so a "sh mem" and make sure that the used and free i/o memory is such that you can half the amount available.

On the 837 the default %age is the second smallest that you can use and the smaller one is half that size.

In all cases that I have seen (well about two :) I have been able to reduce the i/o memory and get the router to work.

As to the original problem, I don't know.

Reply to
anybody43

I have finally got a 837 working with my ISP but this was a different config and IOS image to the one that I was using. What I have found is that the new 837 has only one partition in the flash memory can someone tell me how to return the original device back to a single partition or is it a matter of loading the IOS and running-config from the working router into the one that doesn't boot up. Thanks for your patience with the newbie questions but your help is appreciated

Paul

Reply to
The_Gooner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.