Telnet question

I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the ip on the misconfigured switch through the router? CDP shows connectivity from the router to the misconfigured switch. If not, I will console... Thought it was an interesting problem--any insight? Thanks

Reply to
joey024
Loading thread data ...

I don't think there's any way to send configuration information via CDP. All the remote configuration mechanisms depend on TCP/IP connectivity, and the duplicate IP prevents that.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Couldn't you just set a static arp entry on the router connected to the misconfigured switch?

Doan

Reply to
Doan

If the switch is in close proximity to the router have the local contact person plug the console cable from the switches con port to the routers aux port and reverse telnet into it so you can configure it.

Another way to do it is to have them unplug one of the switches, change to IP of the one thats up, then have them plug the other switch back in.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

In article , wrote: :I have a remote site where a person connected a cisco router and cisco :switch. I configured the router, but the switch they connected to the :network has a duplicate name/ip (an identical switch is on the network :hanging off different router). Telnet won't work remotely because I :get the correctly configured switch. Is there any way to change the :ip on the misconfigured switch through the router?

NAT the traffic coming through the interface that the misconfigured switch is on.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

the only way you can is erasing the other one at least from the routing table of the router, then you make sure that the path to the one you want appears in the routing table. Rather than that I don't see any other way.

Reply to
<Anthrax>

the only way you can is erasing the other one at least from the routing table of the router, then you make sure that the path to the one you want appears in the routing table. Rather than that I don't see any other way.

Reply to
<Anthrax>

Reply to
<Anthrax>

CDP is for information purposes, not for updating.

First, change the IP on the correctly configured switch. This will get rid of the IP conflict. Then telnet to the other one, change it to what you want. That device may need to be restarted before you can get to it. Then, change the first switch back to what it originally was.

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.