4-port FE Switch HWIC and 2811

On my router 2811 with 4-port FE Switch HWIC, "show ip int bri" shows that it has :

FastEthernet 0/0 FastEthernet 0/1 FastEthernet 0/0/0 FastEthernet 0/0/1 FastEthernet 0/0/2 FastEthernet 0/0/3 VLan1

What I am trying to do with this router is to have three separate Ethernet interfaces, like FastEthernet 0/0 FastEthernet 0/1 and FastEthernet 0/2

because I have three local LANs here.

Is there any way to config this system to use the 4-port switch to work on separate interface instead of the 0/0 or 0/1 ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DT

Reply to
dt1649651
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Think of the switch module as a seperate switch. The switch offers switchports while the router offers routed-ports (by default). Configure the switchport to be a member of a certain vlan and use the switch's vlan interfaces to be the routed interface to the router. This way you get (for example):

- Fa0/0, first network (integrated port of 2811)

- Fa0/1, second network (integrated port of 2811)

- VlanX, third network (virtual port, linked to physical port of switch module by vlan-mapping.)

A configuration fragment:

int FastEthernet0/0 descriptuon my first network ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 ! int FastEthernet0/1 descriptuon my second network ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 ! vlan 3 name mythirdnetwork int Vlan3 descriptuon my third network ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0 ! int FastEthernet0/0/0 switchport mode access switchport access vlan 3 !

it's up to you what you do with the other switch-module ports. You can assign them vlan 3 or any other vlan. As long as they do not match with a "int vlan-interface" they won't be able to communicate with Fa0/0, Fa0/1 or Vlan3

Erik

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

I've seen switches where it's possible to convert a switchport to a non-switching (routing) port. I don't know if this is the case with this switching module. If so you can assign any of the four ports an ip-address and issue the "no switchport" command to make it a routed port.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

The behavior of these internal switches is a little wierd when it comes to that. If you can make them L3 ports, I would love to know how. But, the 'no switchport' option does not work. You can configure them as part of a vlan as you originally suggested. The strange part is that there is an 'ip address' command available to the switchports. When you try to use it, it just tells you that you can not put an ip address on L2 links.

The real trick would be to change the port to an L3 link, but I don't think that there is a way to do just that on these switch modules.

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

If the "no switchport" command isn't available on any of the switch-module interfaces, than you can't configure these to be L3-intertfaces. About the "ip address" command; it's probably there because of some IOS code re-use and doesn't have a function on these ports. My suggestion is to map the switch-module ports 1:1 with vlanX interfaces to create "separate" interfaces/networks.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

Erik, Scooby,

Thank you very much for your advice, and I am sorry for not having a prompt reply. I got to a conference and I tied the aux port to a modem. But now I just figured out that the wireless modem I have on my phone do not accept my normal ATDT commands and the long distance call is charged so high in the hotel :-)

When I figure out how to dial using my phone I will try and report back.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

I 've just been able to assign each port an ip address of a different subnet like the method that Erik points out.

I will have to read more about this switch before trying the "no switchport".

Thanks,

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.