Trying to monitor port on Cisco 1841

Anybody know what's going on here? I am trying to monitor f0/0 to f0/1, when I go to conf t, I try this: ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/0 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'sh int f0/0' sure works fine. Why won't this?

Here I am using the trusty '?', just to make sure I am entering the command right, and it appears that way, except when I enter it, I get that error. Example:

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int ? FastEthernet FastEthernet IEEE 802.3

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f ? FastEthernet interface number

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f 0 ? % Unrecognized command

108BISBEE(config)#mon session 1 source int ? FastEthernet FastEthernet IEEE 802.3

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f? FastEthernet

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0? /

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/? FastEthernet interface number

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/0 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is part of the sh ver:

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4 (3i), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Technical Support:

formatting link
(c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Wed 28-Nov-07 18:48 by stshen

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thanks for any help, ponga

Reply to
ponga
Loading thread data ...

You can't SPAN a router interface on a router, which is what the monitor command does. The monitor command is only valid on a switch.

Reply to
Thrill5

I agree, however it would be nice if unsupported commands were not included in the "help".

There is no reason at all to have them 'appear' to be supported and then to find that they don't actually work.

I would imagine that the geniuses who designed the IOS command line would be horrified by this abberation. They had a clue.

Reply to
bod43

The 1841 ISR has 8 Fastethernet ports for connecting access devices. Explains why the command is available.

Reply to
Justin G. Mitchell

Well, that explains it. Thanks.

Reply to
ponga

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.