HWIC-4ESW

if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

Reply to
Drx
Loading thread data ...

They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router. They aren't L3 ports.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800 series router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual interfaces

Reply to
Drx

VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined full duplex ?

Reply to
MC

I agree that this is not clearly documented. We bought some 16 port "L2" cards (NM-16ESW) and I can absolutely confirm that they can be configured as either L3 interfaces OR configured as L2 in a VLAN and have SVIs (e.g int vlan 22) configured for routing. Take you pick.

We used both.

I expect that the one that you are proposing is similar. I asked our supplier to confirm. We are a low level Cisco partner so that was our Distributor.

Within the same VLAN you get hardware L2 switching, and within VLANs you get a software router is my understanding (by guesswork).

The configuration is just like a 6500 or 4500 or 3750 or 3560. No weird twiddly bits, just create VLANs, SVIs, or use pure L3 interfaces.

I have the idea that the 32 port card (36?) may have L3 hardware.

Reply to
Bod43

Cisco has just announced the HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE cards. They are 1-port and 2-port FastEthernet interfaces respectively, that are full L3 interfaces. A 2811 will support up to two HWIC-1FE cards (the HWIC-2FE is not supported on the 2800 series). The cards are expected to be available at the end of January.

formatting link

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

formatting link

thanks guys, you helped

Reply to
Drx

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.