VLAN port with internet access can access only one vlan?

I've been searching around for a while and have come up with more questions than answers

I have two cisco switches (2950 and 3500) which are connected to eachother with a vlan 1 (default) and vlan 22.

The vlan aspect is working fine as it should be, each switch is basically divied in half w/ half the ports on vlan 22 and half on vlan

1. I have them trunked together and that works fine.

Now on one switch I have my internet connection on a port.

If I set the port to access mode and put in vlan 22 then vlan 22 has an internet connection If I put in vlan 1 then vlan 1 has the internet connection

It will not let me put in vlan 1 & 22 at the same time! I have seen things such as ip-helper, which I don't think is a problem, apparently each machine is getting an ip address from the dhcp server (the router).

Also I'm confused to as why a VLAN would have an IP address at all... what is the purpose? An example please? =)

Here's the configuration file with the switch with internet connection port:

ip subnet-zero no ip domain-lookup ip dhcp-server 192.168.2.1 ! spanning-tree mode pvst no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission spanning-tree extend system-id ! ! interface FastEthernet0/1 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/2 switchport access vlan 22 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/3 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/4 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/5 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/6 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/7 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/8 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/9 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/10 no ip address no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/11 switchport access vlan 22 switchport mode trunk no ip address speed 100 no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0/12 --- Internet Connection in this port switchport mode access no ip address no cdp enable ! interface Vlan1 no ip address no ip route-cache shutdown ! interface Vlan22 ip address 192.168.2.3 255.255.255.0 no ip route-cache ! ip http server ! no cdp run ! line con 0 ! end

Reply to
gooderthanyou
Loading thread data ...

In order to forward traffic between VLANs, you need something to perfrom routing. The 3500 is a multilayer switch, right? You will need to configure vlan interfaces and routing on the 3500 to support communication between vlans 1 and 22.

You may also need some form of NAT as well.

Reply to
Mark Williams

You need a L3 device to router traffic from both vlan 1 and vlan 22. Here are some suggestions:

1) connect vlan 1 and 22 to different ports on the router (e.g. vlan 1 fa0/0 and vlan 22 fa0/1) 2)create a trunk port between router and the switch (define fastethernet subinterfaces) 3) create layer 3 interfaces for vlan1 and 22 on the switch.

Good luck

Reply to
java321

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.