4-port internal switch for 2811 and 1 vlan

I have a company who has a 2811 with the 4-port internal switch card (HWIC-4ESW). They're idea was to use this, as well as the 2 routed interfaces all on the same VLAN / subnet. Or at least 1 of the routed interfaces. Is this even possible? I have the 4 switch ports all in VLAN 100 as a test as well as a IP address for hosts to send packets to, but am not able to pull the other 2 interfaces into this. They wanted to put 6 hosts on this router but I don't think it's possible.... Should I tell them to stop being cheap and buy a switch?

This 4 port thing seems like a complete waste unless you need to convert them all to routed ports. But I didn't buy it.

Thanks, Joey

Reply to
Joey
Loading thread data ...

Not tried this, but you probably need to set up bridging between them. then a BVI interface gives a routed interface to the rest of the unit.

I have the 4 switch ports all in

it gives you a 4p switch on a routed interface - sometimes a few ports on 1 subnet is useful.

i have a customer who uses them at every remote site to give a small subnet for management.

Reply to
stephen

Cisco also makes a 9 port version of the HWIC as well (HWIC-9ESW), and uses two HWIC slots.

Reply to
Thrill5

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, this was a small install at a remote site like via point-to-point T1. Their idea was to just use the router for "everything", but come to find out they now have 6 hosts. Might need a switch after all, but I'll look into the bridging/BVI for my own satisfaction ;)

Joey

Reply to
Joey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.