2811 Router and 3560 Switch Intervlan Problem

Hi, I have a 2811 router and a 3560 switch attached to it. I'm trying to do intervlan routing on the router. I have two vlans vlan 1 and vlan 192 for VoIP phones. All of the ports are set up as trunk ports with voice vlan 192 and I have subinterfaces defined on fasteth0/0. One for vlan1 and one for vlan192. When I have an IP phone connected to the switch, I can not ping that device from the 3560, however I can ping it from the 2811. I can ping the vlan 192 subinterface from the

3560 switch. I don't understand why I would not be able to ping the phone from the switch but could from the router. As a matter, I can not ping the phone from any device that is using the default vlan1. If someone could help me with this I would really appricate it.
Reply to
NetWorkMan
Loading thread data ...

Also, When I replace the 2811 with a 2600 router and create the subinterfaces for the vlans, everything seems to work fine. I can then ping the phone from vlan1, the 3560 and the router.

Reply to
NetWorkMan

VLAN 1 is handled differently. I'd strongly recommend avoiding using VLAN 1 at all costs unless you need it.

Even cisco's own gear handles it differently from box to box, software rev to rev, and you have to experiment how to deal with it.

Specificly, VLAN 1 in cisco usually means the vlan that packets

*don't* get tagged going out. Other vendors, (and sometimes cisco's own usage) tag VLAN1 packets going out on the wire, and other vendors usually have some other config method to identify that such and such VLAN won't have tagged traffic.

I'll wager that if you use a different VLAN than 1, your problems will go away.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Unless you are just trying this just for testing sake, why not use the 3560 to do the routing? The 3560s do a great job of inter-vlan routing. The

2811 isn't even needed at all, in this case, except maybe for a gateway.
Reply to
Scooby

That's what I was thinking, but we have few branches with identical setup and everything works like a charm. I I can't get Vlan1 to work, I will set up interVlan routing on the 3560. I just wanted to know if there may be is a command that needs to be slapped in on the 2811 to make it work, even If I wasn't believing it this since other sites work fine.

Thanks,

Reply to
NetWorkMan

As I mentioned, different software revs might change the behavior some. I've experienced some of those problems before when I tried to keep using VLAN 1. I gave up long ago, rather than have to experiment each time I upgraded. Ie. sometimes it needs to have VLAN 1 layer-3 configured on a subinterface, "tagged" with vlan encapsulation 1. Sometimes, it doesn't.

You can leave the 3560 in Layer-2, and just move the management VLAN to your new VLAN scheme no problem. Thats what needs to happen on layer-2 only switches anyway.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.