2600 vs 2600XM

Ok, I have purchased a "Cisco T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card (WIC-1DSU-T1-V2)" for a 2600 sereis router that I have. Now the cisco website specifaclly says the v1 version of the card supports both 2600 and 2600xm, but the v2 table only shows the 2600xm. My qestions are is there a difference in the two routers? and if it is supported, how do I go about installing it? Any help would be great.

Reply to
SyberPenguin
Loading thread data ...

2600 vs 2600xm The recommended replacement products are the Cisco 2600XM routers introduced in May 2002. Customers are encouraged to migrate to the Cisco 2600XM models, which offer the same modular design and flexibility as the Traditional Cisco 2600 routers, but in addition offer more functionality for the same list price! In direct comparison, the Cisco 2600XMs provide more value and functionality by providing the following:

.Up to 33% performance increase for processor-intensive services

.Increased default memory

.Increased maximum flash memory to 48MB

.Increased maximum SDRAM memory to 128MB

.Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports on all Cisco 2600XM models

.Mainline IOS with the support of 12.1(14) and 12.2(12), in addition to

12.2(8)T1

.Same feature and module support as the Traditional Cisco 2600 models

.Cisco 2650XM and Cisco 2651XM models supported on a 12.1 mainline (12.1.14)

.Enhanced security and broadband 2600XM product bundles for lower solution costs and easier ordering (worldwide announcement made on August 12, 2002)

In addition to increased functionality, the new Cisco 2600XM routers provide the same platform applications and functionality as the current traditional Cisco 2600s:

.A DC and RPS version of each model

.NEBs Level 3

.Same Module support, including Network Modules, WAN Interface Cards (WIC) and Advanced Integration Modules (AIM)

.Same chassis dimensions (1RU), power, environmental and regulator specifications

begin 666 blank.gif K1TE&.#EA`@`"`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````"``(```("A%$`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Make

Most likely many others still have the non XM routers deployed, they are not that old. We have hundreds out there supporting our customer Extranets and we will run them until they die. That is the problem I have had with Cisco, trying to force people into the new technology when is not needed. I am still running Nortel ASN routers in many places, still code upgrades and still supported and still running great for the past ten years. Also I wish Cisco would take the approach Nortel did with their BayRS code, Still can run the latest code on the original ASN routers we have. Need to upgrade a Cisco and the code is too big to fit on older routers (not too old either). Nortel allows you to rebuild custom images from their code, it modular so can add and subtract features as needed (of course only features to the up to the level of code purchased) I was really hoping that Cisco would go this route with the newer routers.

Reply to
MC

Yes, there is a difference between the 2600 and the 2600XM intrisicly. They are different boxes, not just an expanded memory capability.

Sorry to say, the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 won't work on the 2600, and never will. Been there, done that.

It will work on the 2600XM with a new enough code load.

Time to RMA the card, or think about swapping out the 2600 for a factory refurb 2801 or something.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

But really, who's going to be writing device drivers for a box that has been EOL'd for almost 6 years?

I see it more as a thing that they got the concepts right, and they are so usable still out in the field, but once you can't start sourcing the parts needed to build the things, you do have to move onto the next design.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Last day to order these Cisco 2600 models was April 26, 2003, Support until April 26, 2008. The 2612 was EOL on January 24, 2006, Support until July 24, 2011

Should be able to still order V1 replacements from most VAR's.

Reply to
MC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.