Cisco 2514 and serial cables

Greetings all:

First off, while I have significant experience in LAN's, I'm a complete newbie at WAN's, T1's, etc. Feel free to make fun of me.

I'm in possession of a Cisco 2514 I bought quite awhile ago for practice/trial purposes.

My work is currently in possession of two active T1 lines they are not using. (Don't ask, it's a long story involving bean-counters).

It occurred to me there are several things I can do with those lines locally while waiting on official equipment, so I brought in my old 2514, and started researching things.

Here's my problem.

The 2514 has two Serial DB60 interfaces. It came with two cables labeled "CBL, Serial, V.35 DTE". They are 60 pin female on one side, and the other side is a large clunky connector with places for up to 34 pins. (M/34?)

Question is...

The T1 line from our demarkpoint to our server closet terminates in a RJ45 connector.

While I think I could manage to configure a serial interface with a bit of help and advice, what I can't find anywhere on the net, is whether or not these serial interfaces can be used for this T1 line, and if so, what kind of cable I need to purchase to connect it.

Any help, even the proper search words for google, would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ingot.

Reply to
Ingot
Loading thread data ...

Where do the other end of the T1's terminate? (you'll need something to "talk" to on the other end)

You'll need to plug the T1's into a DSU/CSU. The T1 would plug into the CSU, the CSU would then plug into the router via a serial cable. (to the DB-60 interfaces)

The 2514 router you have is a fixed-configuration router - (no hardware options) If, for instance, you had a Cisco 2600, you could use a WIC-1DSU-T1 (has build-in CSU) and plug the T1 directly into the router.

JC

Reply to
J.Cottingim

"J.Cottingim" wrote

JC:

So since the 2514 doesn't have a built in CSU, I'd need to buy one eh?

I guess that makes sense, since the other routers I've worked with have been

2600's at least. That explains why I didn't recognize the interface.

I bought it mainly for its two ethernet ports, way back when I needed to practice IP routing.

Not much chance of me using it for a temporary router on a T1 line then, I can't afford $700 for a CSU.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Chris

Reply to
Ingot

Ebay for Adtran TSU LT - these things are a dime a dozen and just what you are looking for. Nice low end unit.

Reply to
Scooby

"Scooby" wrote

That's very helpful of you. Thanks, I'll do that.

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

"Scooby" wrote

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

"Scooby" wrote

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

"Scooby" wrote

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

"Scooby" wrote

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

"Scooby" wrote

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

"Scooby" wrote

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

"Scooby" wrote

Ingot

Reply to
Ingot

"Ingot" wrote

Apologies for the spammed post. My news client barfed.

For 15 minutes.

That's what I get for using a Microsoft product.

Reply to
Ingot

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.