1841 VPN module

Hi guys !

I have a couple of 1841s, two of which I'd like to get explained ;) ...

Take a look at this one ...

Cisco 1841 (revision 7.0) with 116736K/14336K bytes of memory. Processor board ID FCZ1133131E

2 FastEthernet interfaces 1 Serial(sync/async) interface DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled. 191K bytes of NVRAM. 62496K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

... and then at this one:

Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 118784K/12288K bytes of memory. Processor board ID FCZ104220Z3

2 FastEthernet interfaces 2 Low-speed serial(sync/async) interfaces 1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled. 191K bytes of NVRAM. 62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

I wanted to move the VPN module from the latter one to the first one but after opening the boxes, I found that the AIM slot is empty in both cases. So the following question arises: where do I find the VPN module physically? Or is this just a matter of IOS feature sets?

TIA

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler
Loading thread data ...

Its built into the motherboard on the 1841. The first one probably doesn't have a crypto image that has the device driver loading for the crypto chip. The later one probably does.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

That's what I initially thought of but I was expecting that at least the hardware would be found, even if not working due to wrong image.

Am I right that only the 1841 and the 1861 have the crypto chip, and 180x and 181x don't? And BTW: what's the difference between HW rev 6.0 and 7.0?

Regards

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

Post the output of "show diag" from both routers

Reply to
Merv

sh ver sh inv

too.

Reply to
Bod43

Indeed: the one with visible VPN module was running "advipservices", the other one was running "spservices". I had just gotten familiar with the funny letter combinations showing the feature sets and now they changed things again for newer platforms. Where can I find out what those names mean?

Regards

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

At the moment, I have no access to the routers, I only have some snippets left. But what"s the theoretical answer to the HW revs?

Regards

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

formatting link
Figure 6

Also feature navigator

formatting link

Reply to
Bod43

They mean different things on different platforms. Use Cisco Feature Navigator to diff two images on the platform you are interested in for what the feature sets support.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.