Converting crypto map to unnumbered VTI

I'm trying to convert a crypto map VPN to a ip unnumbered VTI. The crypto map has been working for months. The VTI... no so much. Here are the applicable config entries.

### original config ! crypto isakmp policy 30 encr 3des authentication pre-share group 2 ! crypto isakmp key xxxxxxxx address 10.1.1.10 ! crypto ipsec transform-set 3DES-SHA esp-3des esp-sha-hmac ! crypto map CRYPTO 50 ipsec-isakmp set peer 10.1.1.10 set transform-set 3DES-SHA set pfs group2 match address VPN1 ! ip access-list extended VPN1 permit ip host 172.16.16.10 host 10.5.5.1 permit ip host 172.16.16.10 host 10.5.5.4

I only removed the crypto map and added the following.

### New Config crypto ipsec profile V1 set security-association lifetime seconds 28800 set transform-set 3DES-SHA set pfs group2 ! interface Tunnel0 ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0 ip nat outside ip virtual-reassembly tunnel source 172.16.8.1 tunnel destination 10.1.1.10 tunnel mode ipsec ipv4 tunnel protection ipsec profile V1

I keep getting this ISAKMP error now.

ISAKMP:(0:54:HW:2):deleting SA reason "Recevied fatal informational" state (I) QM_IDLE (peer 10.1.1.10)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also... I have no idea what is running on the other end (it's a partner network), but I suspect it's a crypto map on IOS.

Thank you!

MikeG

Reply to
Mike Gauthier
Loading thread data ...

Mike,

Hi.

Before you go any further I would recommend that you find out what you are connecting to.

Using VTI's is different from using static crypto maps. On a VTI you do not define (AFAIK) a crypto ACL. Using a VTI is like saying permit ip any any in a crypto acl.

On the remote end if they are running e.g a PIX or router with a standard crypto map, there will be a crypto-acl which you should be mirroring, I suspect this is not the case though.

Any reason why you wanted to use a VTI ?

Regards

Darren

Reply to
Darren Green

You may want to compare debug isakmp form working and non-working setups:

1. post show version and show interface tu 0

1. return to original config

2. capture debug isakmp sa

4.configure IPSEC profile with crypto map

1. capture debug isakmp sa with this setup

1. config new config with VTI setup

7.capture debug isakmp sa with this setup

In main mode, there will be an exchange of 6 IIKE packets.

The VTI tunnel interface will not come up until the SA are built (i.e it will be in up - down state)

Reply to
Merv

Actually, not knowing what's on the other end is part of the exercise. My employer has thought it a good idea to offer VPN connectivity to our clients. Clients can mean a large corporation and a proper networking team, but mostly it means a small to medium sized business with limited network skills. Then... there can also be a language barrier as we're a global company.

I understand what you mean about not having a crypto ACL on a VTI. There is a permit ip any any (you'll see it if you do a show crypto sesseion), but you can apply an ACL to the tun interface to simulate one. This is how I suspect one would mirror the crypto ACL.

I want to use a VTI for monitoring purposes. Since it is an interface, it can be monitored (both state and bandwith). I'm trying to make what could turn into a large number of VPNs much easier for our support team to support. With a VTI, we can show support a green or red light per VPN tunnel. We can't really do that with a crypto map (that I'm aware of).

Thanks for the reply BTW. Appreciate it Farren.

Regards,

MikeG

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

-- Router#sho ver Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version

12.4(12), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Technical Support:
formatting link
(c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Fri 17-Nov-06 12:02 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

qsv-cvpnc1 uptime is 3 days, 15 hours, 28 minutes System returned to ROM by reload at 00:39:57 UTC Thu Nov 8 2007 System image file is "flash:c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-12.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption. Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

formatting link
If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to snipped-for-privacy@cisco.com.

Cisco 2811 (revision 53.50) with 249856K/12288K bytes of memory. Processor board ID FTX1048A3RX

2 FastEthernet interfaces 2 Serial interfaces 2 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Modules DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled. 239K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

IOBTW IOS 12.4(12) has been yanked by Cisco.

You should upgrade to a newer maintenance version of 12.4

Reply to
Merv

. . .I've done just this.

I did that, but the only error I was seeing was

=========================================

Mike, it looks like your reply got clipped.

Did you see any issues in the output of debug isakmp sa for the original config ?

Reply to
Merv

Weird. My post did get clipped.

The only error I saw from my debug isakmp was the following.

ISAKMP0:54:HW:2):deleting SA reason "Recevied fatal informational" state (I) QM_IDLE (peer 10.1.1.10)

I'd get QM_IDLE for a second and then that error. I see nothing in Phase

1. No send errors, no encrypt/decrypt errors. Nothing.

Got your email BTW. Thank you.

MikeG

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

Mike,

1. Upgrade IOS software to a supported maintenance release

1. test IPSEC profile using crypto map command on the FastEtherent interface crypto map V1TEST 10 ipsec-isakmp profile V1

Reply to
Merv

Also try disable agressive mode to see if it make any difference

crypto isakmp aggressive-mode disable

Reply to
Merv

Mike,

Take a ook at this VTI config example;

formatting link

It shows the tunnel interface CONFIGURED with ip nat inside and the phyiscal outside interface with ip nat outside

Reply to
Merv

I've grabbed some spare 3825s that were destined for a data center upgrade in Europe. I built a small lab network today and will be testing several different aspects of VTIs, crypto maps, and NAT tomorrow.

Thank you for your help Merv. Quite helpful, unfortunately, nothing seemed to help. Do you think PFS could have anything to do with it? This particular VPN uses it. Ah... I'll save for the playground tomorrow.

Thanks again.

MikeG

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

Mike,

Please post your results as the Cisco docs are pretty thin when it comes to VTI especially in the presence of NAT.

Merv

Reply to
Merv

Most definitely will. Hope to have something to post by the end of the day (unless more fires erupt... seems to always happen when I *WANT* to do a particular thing).

MikeG

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

It's been one fire after another this week (down lines in the Philippines, AC out in our lab, etc.). Hopefully I'll get to play around on Friday.

MikeG

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

I was finally able to devote some time to this! YAY!

Here is my bottom line: monitoring VPN status on IOS routers pretty much sucks.

I cannot convert my crypto maps to static VTIs because the crypto ACL cannot be modified. Usually this would not be a big deal, but I do not control the other end of the tunnel. Because of the static VTIs inherent "permit ip any any" encryption domain, this is not an option.

I tried to use dynamic VTIs, but the encryption domain is a problem with this as well. With a DVTI, one can have *ONLY* a single line crypto ACL. Again, a problem because I do not control the other end of the tunnel.

It really looks to me like it's best if I stick with the crypto map tunnels. They are definitely the most flexible and are pretty much guaranteed to work with whatever may be on the other end (given it does proper IPSEC).

So... my new problem. My lab router is running 12.4(17) (c3825- advipservicek9-mz.124-17.bin). I have a working crypto map VPN running. I make the VPN go up. I make the VPN go down (clear crypto session). What happened to the %CRYPTO-5-SESSION_STATUS log messages? They used to show up (I set crazy debugging, but they're gone). I guess this no longer applies?

formatting link
How can I monitor these tunnels now without the log entries?

Thanks again for the help Merv. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it.

MikeG

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

After speaking with TAC and their doing a little research, it turns out that the CRYPTO-5-SESSION_STATUS log messages must be turned on. According to TAC, this doesn't appear to be documented anywhere. Huh... interesting.

conf t crypto logging session end

Mike

Reply to
Mike Gauthier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.