punching down with punch down tools

How hard do you have to press on the tool before the wire "punches" down intothe punchdown.

I feel like I am pushing until there is no tomorrow.

Please help...

-John C

Reply to
John C
Loading thread data ...

John C wrote in part:

About 10 lbf should activate the impact mechanism. If there is one, and it isn't disabled. This is mostly to cut the tail off.

Very little force is required to set the wire in the IDC (insulation displacing connector) blades. Little plastic tools work. The punchdown is to cut. If you need a lot of force, you may have the wrong blade or wire [position].

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

aFter I try it with the gray tool the wire comes out relatively easy. I thought it was supposed to be firmly set in. It just doesnt seem like a secure connection.

-John C

Reply to
John C

John C wrote in part:

It isn't supposed to be mechanically secure (except the lower level on 110). Wires don't move by themselves, and wiring harnesses aren't supposed to be handled by monkeys. Generally, dental tools are used to pick out crossconnect from IDCs.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

so as long as I feel that "snap" while going in it should be termainted correctly? I'll try it on the live connection. I was practicing on a pice of scrap cable.

-John C

Reply to
John C

John C wrote in part:

The "snap" is from the tool impact spring. Much less is actually needed for reliable connection. There are two/four blades inside the IDC which cut the insulation (in an allegedly gas-tight way).

It takes very little force (1 lbf). It is actaully more important that the wire be straight and not subject to vibration. And the blades not be damaged by an improper or misaligned tool.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

everything worked out. thanks. Now on to making my own cables.

Reply to
John C

John C wrote in part:

Crimping plugs is much more exacting than punchdowns. Easy to screw up. I strongly recommend people buy patchcords. Pros almost always do.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Well gotta install a switch right in the middle of the run to give me more ports. I also have to trim the end of the lines. Got a lot of extra cable I could use elsewhere.

I practiced on a few spare cables. The pin pattern is easy enough . Just gotta make sure I don't cut away too much of the jacket.

If fact I am using one of the patch cables I made now.

Reply to
John C

John C wrote in part:

That sounds like another telco closet.

Naturally. Into jacks with patch cords.

Sure. But stopping one apparent waste often _increases_ overall waste.

T-568A or T-568B?

There are other considerations as well.

Many people do. Then later complain of troubles, especially hard-to-diagnose intermittants.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.