Stupid (or at least naive) type 110 punch down block questions

I'm installing a wiring closet (well, a wiring wall in the garage) in my house, and I'm using type 110 punch down blocks for the CAT-5 and POTS connections. There's plenty of references to type 110 blocks on the internet, but pitifully little about the conventions for using one.

For example, each frame holds up to 50 pairs in two rows of 25. Each row is marked off every 5 pairs (10 wires) with a little black mark, AND the standard paper label is also divided up the same way. When you're wiring up CAT5 cables, do people typically put one cable per group of ten and waste the extra pair, thus getting 10 CAT5s per frame? Or do you stuff the pairs one after another and ignore the divisions?

And I notice that the C110 connector blocks are helpfully marked with the pair colors, but which side gets the striped and the solid in CAT5 cable? And does the blue pair typically appear on the left or the right ?

Yes, yes - I know it doesn't matter and I can do it anyway I want as long as I'm consistent, but if there's a standard practice I'd like to follow it.

I'd love to see a few closeup pictures of a properly wired 110 block, if somebody can post a pointer.

Thanks! Bob

P.S. And when you insert the permanent wiries in the frame (i.e. before you insert the C110 blocks), do you actually punch those down with a punchdown tool? Od do you just put them in the slot and then let the connector block punch them down?

Reply to
Bob Armstrong
Loading thread data ...

"Connector Blocks" are available in four and five pair widths. I use the four pair wide blocks for four pair cable.

I don't know any official standard for which side the strip goes on. I picked one and stuck with it.

As for the connector block, blue is on the left. However, you don't get to choose as it only fits one way.

Just put them in the frame and punch the block onto it. The block has the metal "teeth" that need to be punched. It's best to punch it using a tool with a connector punch down head. Failing that, a standard punch down will work but you'll have to work all four or five pairs. I've even (carefully) used a hammer; but I don't recommend it.

Much of this will be obvious when you get the actual parts.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

*Your* frame holds 50 pair. There's plenty of other styles and # of pairs. Although the 50 pair one is pretty popular. Also, you can get the connector blocks in any number of pairs. I typically buy them with 4 pair blocks (and then the last one is 5 pairs, and the last pair is typically wasted).

This goes back to older telco wiring. Ie. 66 blocks have a notch every

5 pairs to match up to the color codes which are in groups of 5, etc. etc.

If I had 5 pair connector blocks, I'd still do it 6*4 across the strip. I wouldn't do 5 with a gap inbetween each. Even with the 5-pair connector clips, most "kits" ship with labels that have the 3 pair, 4 pair and 5 pair seperations on them, you just fold it the right way to display.

Even if they ship with 4 pair connector blocks, the lacing frame is typically marked at 5 pair intervals, you just work around it.

110's go left to right. The striped wire of the pair is always the first, just like on 66's or other telco blocks and plugs. Color order is always the same, blue, orange, green, brown, slate.

And if its down to the convention, somebody else can work on it in the future..

I don't necessarily agree with the way he does everything, but this guy does pretty good samples and pictures.

formatting link

Note, I do like my tools, but this job is one where I believe that the dedicated 5-pair 110 block punch down tool is really worth the money vs. using a regular punch down tool if you do it more than once. If you are doing it just once, then, it may not be worth it.

I lace all the wires into the frame, and punch them down to trim them with the 5-pair tool. Then I punch down the connecting clips with the

5-pair tool for all in the row. The wires hold in the wiring frame well enough for that period without falling out, since they are just friction fit in the plastic fingers before the connecting clip goes on.
Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Actually, the wiring frame is marked in 5 pair increments, because a standard cable is 5 pairs per color. If you are running 4 pair cables to the block, you terminate 6 cables per row, in order.

Your cqbles terminate from left to right or top to bottom in TR fashion, so that mans the White/Blue wire is first, then Blue/White. If your cable is solid white, then solid blue I'd be a bit concerned that it is NEVER going to be Cat-5e. That tends to be outdoor cable.

There is a specific tool designed to terminate C connectors, but you can use a 110 tool to terminate the wires in the frame. Your problem is getting the C clips to seat properly.. I've seen people use a soft block of wood and a hammer, I've used a 110 tool to seat the left and right side of a clip, but the $70-100 tool is the best.

A search engine query of wiring 110 blocks will give you many results. Something in the order of this

formatting link
No matter what it says, I always line up the first C connector and punch it down, then the rest just fall into place. I'd never even try to balance a clip on the tool :-)

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.