110 punch down blade compatibility with Krone Dilemma

Is anyone here familiar with Krone networking wiring components? I'm a computer technician in the US and I have limited experience with network cabling. I have a client who is moving to a new building and he would like for me to reuse his existing Cat5e jacks and patch panel. The jacks and patch panel are made by Krone. I've read that krone is high quality and is popular in Europe ,the UK and Australia. I've read that a 110 style punch down blade might damage the IDC contacts. A Krone punch down blade should be used instead. Krone tech literature says the Krone blade is required. The problem is that I don't have a Krone punch down blade and no one in my town sells them. The client must be up and running by Tuesday morning. I experimented with using a

110 blade on this Krone stuff and it appears to work fine on the jacks, but I have to set the punch down tool to high pressure to get it to work well on the patch panel. I only have a continuity tester and the continuity is good on all eight conductors on my experimental try. See more about Krone patch panels at:
formatting link
My client has the patch panel on the top of second page. It's a 24 port patch pane, but he only needs to use eight ports. The Cat5e wiring is in place and each jack box has two Cat5E cables, one for data and one for phone. BTI will be moving the phone system and they will be there on Tuesday.

My dilemma is, do I terminate with a 110 blade even though the manufacturer doesn't recommend it? The 110 blade appears to work and I could try it and see what happens. Or, I could skip using Krone all together. I'd have to install RJ45 connectors on the ends of the eight cables in the wiring closet because I don't have a another patch panel and I can't buy one locally. This would bypass the patch panel all together, but it's not good structured wiring practice. I can buy standard 110 style jacks from Lowe's. They sell the Pass & Seymour brand. But, I don't know what brand BTI will be using and a different brand of jack will probably not fit the Pass & Seymour wall plate. (The phone and data jacks will share the same box) Maybe I should let BTI do the phone system first and perhaps even let them terminate the data jacks. However, I know the client will be freaking out if his network isn't up and running early Tuesday. He uses Terminal Services, so they can't do anything without a connection to the server. One last problem: The electrician who wired the Cat5 cabling did a very unprofessional looking job because he has loose bundles of cables hanging from and running across the ceiling and through and down walls to get to the wiring closet. My client told me this was unacceptable and he intends to have the electrician redo it. The client still wants me to proceed with the networking so his office will be up and running, but any wiring I do in the closet might have to be redone.

I just need to hear opinions from others about how I should proceed. Sometimes you can't see the forest because of the trees.

Thanks,

Steve Smith

Reply to
Nevest
Loading thread data ...

I think Harris makes a Krone blade for their punchdown tools.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Nevest wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

Thanks. I know I can order Krone blades. That's not the problem. The problem is I need it now by Tuesday morning, so I can't wait for the Krone blade to arrive.

Steve Smith

Reply to
Nevest

A 110 punch will work on Krone. So will Bix. So will a flat screwdriver. It doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I am a firm believer of the right tool for the right job. See if your client will let you use your temporary solution until your new Krone punch comes in.

Bob

Reply to
Elmo McElroy

I have an IDEAL PunchMaster II punch down tool. See it at

formatting link
are the Krone blades so expensive? The Krone blade alone ranges from $65 to $95. I like the simplicity of having one punch down tool, so I'd prefer to get just the blade. But at these prices, I feel I can do better. For example, why are these Krone punch down tools so cheap?
formatting link
I only do occational network wiring. So, I don't need the most expensive punch down tool. However, I still want quality. Will the cheap Ebay tool sufice?

Thanks, Steve Smith

Reply to
Nevest

Why are the Ideal ones so expensive is the bigger question?

I'd trust Harris more, and their Krone blade is only $40? (Looking around, I probably shop at cheaper places than most doing a quick web search).

I have both. I think the Harris one definately punches better, and from what I've seen the side-cut wire trim is more instyle with what Krone wants. I've had trouble with the Ideal blade seating the cable correctly, and the squash cut doesn't work all that well. I'd rather use a Harris 110 blade over the Ideal Krone and have in a pinch.

Looking at them, the Krone blades are thinner in the middle, so there is a difference, although functionally, they seem about the same overall.

Most likely a better chance at damaging the 110 IDC connector with the

110 tool than with the Krone tool, but if you're careful, it'll probably be fine.
Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.