50 pair Cat 5e Outdoor line

OMG....dont you people read??

Where did I ever say a phone system needs Cat 5...and who says I cant use Cat 5 for voice???? LOL

Reread the post again, David!

My customer had some company 1 year ago string 7 or so cat 3 (non-outdoor) lines 20 something feet from one building to the next with duct tape Its looks like shit, and sooner or later theyll fail.

The other building now needs 100 mbps network access....

So, I am planning on using a multipair cat 5 cable to run both both voice and data, instead of having 2 seperate cables...Im just using one.

Comprende?

Fiber for 20 feet to me isnt practical...

Joe

Reply to
Joe Perkowski
Loading thread data ...

Like I said,

If I ground and bond everything you think the network will still get fried?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

Joe Perkowski wrote [reformatted]:

If you put proper protection on the ethernet (Cat5 protectors, tied very near both buildings groundstakes), you may be OK. If you can find Cat5 protectors. Still riskier than fiber.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Your network is going to die!

Reply to
none

Thanks your input....

LOL

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

(snip)

Cat 5 cable depends on each pair having sufficiently different twist pitch (twist rate) such that capacitive coupling cancels out over the short or long run. For a 50 pair cable, you probably can't generate enough different twist pitches, so you have to do other things to keep pairs with a similar twist apart. (Capacitive coupling is fairly short range.) One way is to put multiple four pair cables inside one sheath. While not perfect, that usually keeps them far enough apart.

It might also be possible to arrange the pairs in the cable such that no two pairs were adjacent over a long distance. I don't know that any cable is made that way, but it should work.

My favorite UTP cables have the two wires in a pair bonded, think of a miniature version of ordinary lamp cord. This keeps the pair from untwisting until it is specifically pulled apart. Otherwise, it is difficult to keep the twist over a long distance outside the sheath.

In any case, 100baseTX isn't as sensitive as the Cat 5 standard makes it seem. For gigabit, though, you should meet the standard.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.