Comparative reviews of consumer patch panels

In way over my head and may not even be using the right terms, but...

I am looking for comparative reviews of consumer-grade patch panels. The full story...

I need to have some additional LAN jacks added to my home. [Understand that I COULD use wireless but would prefer hardwire]. Since I have to have these Cat5 cables run anyway I am thinking, "hmmm, wouldn't it be nice to have a central place where all of the data related cables (phone, LAN, audio, TV, etc.) can be organized like the wiring closet at work?".

So, if I move my cable modem and router from their current location and bring all the wires from the new LAN runs to one place... then I need a patch panel, right? Not sure that I would want to re-wire my phone wiring but any new phone lines that I add could go in the patch panel, right? And as long as I am at it (and since my TV cable comes into my house at this general location) I could add my coax cables? And then why not attach various audio devices to various speaker sets throughout the house at the patch panel?

Does this sound right?

If so, can you point me to a site that has reviews of consumer patch panels (i.e. relatively inexpensive but with reasonable quality, capabilities, and features)?? Or can you share your personal expeience with such products?

Reply to
autodeletespam
Loading thread data ...

For your data and phones you want something like this;

formatting link

It screws to the wall. if 12 locations isn't enough use 2 or get a 24 jack flavor. Home Depot has them.

For multimedia wiring check out smarthome.com. get their paper catalog, it's got better pictures.

Leviton has home multimedioa wiring, also. There are design guides somewhere on their web sites.

formatting link

Reply to
Al Dykes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.