DSC 864 Serial Cable Length

Can a cable be used to connect to a DSC 864 panel that is longer than the one that is supplied with the PCLink?

I would like to connect to it with a pc that is in another area that would require a cable 50' long.

Thanks, Mike Bougard

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 8 Web @

formatting link
----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous
Loading thread data ...

I haven't seen anything in the docs, but I'd think 10 feet would be the limit. Also, the 864 will not communicate while the PC link is connected. js

Reply to
alarman

Serial Cable Length Limits (RS232, V.35, RS530, RS422/449) SCSI Cable Length Limits Parallel Cable Length Limits

Serial Cable Length Limits (RS-232, V.35, RS-530, RS-422/449)

Table below lists the maximum permissible cable lengths for various protocols at various representative data rates. These lengths are as specified in the EIA RS232C, CCITT V.55 and RS422 interface standards.

Material requirements:

• Conductor size and type: 24 AWG, twisted pair. * Nominal capacitance: 15.5 picofarads per foot (between conductors of each pair); 27.5 picofarads per foot (from each conductor to shield). * Nominal DC resistance (each conductor): 24.0 ohms per 1000 feet.
  • Nominal DC resistance (shield): 2.35 ohms per 1000 feet. * Shield type: Overall braided with drain wire. * Approval: Underwriters Laboratories (UL).

DTE Data Rate [kb/s] Maximum DTE Cable Lengths [ft]

RS232C V.35 RS449/422 RS530/422

56 or 64 10 4000 4000 4000 224 or 256 N/A 3500 1700 1700 896 or 1024 N/A 1700 350 350

N/A - not aplicable (these rates cannot be used for RS232C interface

NOTE on RS-232 Serial Cables

At lower peripheral speeds of up to 9600 baud,serial interfaces can usually operate over cables up to 50 feet long. Use of special high quality cable may in some cases allow this limit to be extended to as much as 150 feet.

begin 666 clearpixel.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $!````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
A.J.

I had some time over the weekend, so I went ahead and ran a cat 5e cable from the alarm panel to the room I have the pc in.

This is what I did as I already had the PCLink panel connection to work from: · I arranged the conductors at the panel end the same as you would do to make a cat 5e cable. · I crimped on a six conductor male plug leaving off the #1 orange/white and #8 brown wires. · I connected the wires at the cat 5e jack as usual. · I took the six conductor flat cable and connected it at the cat 5e jack and plugged it into the serial adapter. · The connection worked without any problems. · I then made a cat 5e cable normal on one end and took the opposite end and turned the connector upside down before I crimped it on - so the cable was like the flat wire cable supplied with the PCLink. I did this simply thinking I might have a more secure connection at the cat 5e wall jack. · I then took an RJ45/DB9 adapter and configured it like the one supplied with the PCLink. · This connection also worked without any problems.

In conclusion, 50 feet from the alarm panel and making your own cable should not create any problems.

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 8 Web @

formatting link
----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

that'd probably be about the limit at 9600 baud too.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I don't know what the specs are for alarm system serial ports, but I regularly wire 300 foot RS-232 runs for serial terminals (19200 baud).

Probably completely unrelated, but I once saw a spec for a CSU/DSU (digital modem) that showed a 2 mile limit at 9600 baud.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.