Need Help With Patch Panel System Design

I am finishing a telephone and data wiring project in my home. I have four lines coming in of which three are live. I have run two cat 5e cables to every wall of my house. I think I am going to install channel vision structured module products as I can terminate the incoming lines with with a RJ45 plug that plugs into the DSL filter, and then to a phone distribution patch panel etc. etc. I will go into more detail later. What I am wondering is this ... when I terminate the RJ45 plug for the 4 pairs and then at the station location, how can I control what line 1, 2, 3 and 4 are. Does the pin position on the RJ45 denote this or the way it was set up in the NID? The reason I am asking this is that on another of the Channel Vision products (a front door device) .. I can plug the device in and it will ring every line 1 in the house when depressed at the front door intercom. One will then be able to pick up any line 1 and talk to the person at the front door. How can I determine which line is l? Also, if I terminate the Cat 5e cables in the closet with RJ45 plugs to plug into the patch panel, and I set up the jacks at the locations with RJ45 jacks and then just plug RJ11 cables from the phones into those jacks? Not sure if RJ45 jacks will accommodate RJ11 plugs securely? Any help would be appreciated. BTW, if anyone knows of any structured wiring patch panel type of devices that are plug and play let me know. Do not know if Leviton makes such a device. Using a patch panel seems to be easier for me to control which jack or data port at which station I want to heat up. The ones that I do not need, I can just cover up with a wall plate until I need to terminate them and use them. Some are now behind furniture, etc. I can just leave cables not plugged in, hanging in my home run closet until I need them. Any advice will be appreciated.

Reply to
Michael Roback
Loading thread data ...

Michael,

Take a look at the following link.

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

I dont like the structured systems as there is not enough breathing room in the panels. I just home run everything to a 19 inch relay rack, using modular jacks, then I patch the relay reack to the centralized devices router, LAN switch, doorfone, security, video ditribution, etc. I use blank 19 inch panels then just pop in modular "keystone" jacks as-needed, the system grows with me and everything is nice and open and easy to get to.

As for lines 1 through 4 on a cat5, if you were looking at the jack the two inner most pins are line 1, then go outward left and right, the two outer most pins are line 4.

I run 2 phone lines over my voice cat5 network and I piggy back infrared receivers and emitters on the outer most pins (what would be lines 3 and 4). So I can use any remote control in any room to blast infrared control throughout the home. But if you nee 4 phone lines you will be using up all the wires in your voice network.

I also ran aditional cat5 for the data network, those simply terminate at a 24 port gigabit-speed switch in the rack closet. Now-a-days you can run VOIP on your gigabit LAN so the separation between having separate voice and data networks are blurring, but infrared distribution is a good use for old phone runs that are no longer in use for voice.

Reply to
windcrest

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.