50 pair Cat 5e Outdoor line

Hi guys...

Ok here's the situation....I got a job to put in a new phone system into a building.

The people who did the Merlin system before strung 7 cat 3 drops a distance of 20 feet from one building to the another and taped them together. The lines are drooping and it looks like crap.

I want to get rid of that mess. Im looking to put a outdoor enclousure with a 50 pair 110 block in it. I will terminated the drops coming from that building outside on the wall. I will then terminate the 50 pair Cat 5e line from the outdoor 110 enclosure, secure it with a steel cable, and run it into the other building where the phone system will be located. where it will terminate into one of the wall mount 12 port patch panels.

Now, they also want Internet access in that building too. Has anyone mixed voice/data within a 50 pair Cat 5e cable here? I dont foresee any problems. But, would like any recomendations or suggestions if this cause me any problems.

Thanks for any input....

Joe Perkowski

Reply to
Joe Perkowski
Loading thread data ...

A) What kind of phone system needs CAT5?

B) If IP-based; think fiber.

Reply to
David Lesher

Hate to be the one to tell you but as far as I know there is no such thing as an Outdoor rated 50 Pair Cat 5e, Maybe a Cat 3 which will be fine for voice and suggested elsewhere, run a fiber for the network.

-------------------------------------

Joe Perkowski wrote:

-- ##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.cabling -

2503 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Reply to
Jgolan

I have never heard of 50-pair Cat5. I'd probably just go with regular

Reply to
Mark J

Joe Perkowski wrote in part:

I'd worry about lightening protection.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Never said a phone system needs Cat 5, I dont know where you got that from...????

Anyhow, they need network access in another building 30 or so feet away. Im not gonna run fiber for something so short thats just plum dumb.

I want ONE cable to get to the other building, so I was gonna run both the voice and data (100Mbps) over the 50 pair Cat 5e cable, understand?

Thanks though for your input...

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

Mohawk makes em....Im sure everyone else does too...

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

Mark,

The reason I want to use the a 50 pair cable is so I have only 1 cable from building to building, not 2. Thats pretty much the only reason, I want a neat installation without a bunch of wires hanging....

Fiber for only 30 feet, they wont go for....

Thanks

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

Well, considering they got 7 drops hanging there now...LOL...I think I got the whole grounding and bonding issue worked out.

All I was asking if anyone has every used a 50 pair Cat 5e cable with voice and data mixed. They do make these cables too. Mohawk does and I am sure others do too.

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

Well Joe,

I went to the Mohawk site because most manufacturers don't even make an indoor 50 Pair Cat 5e, let alone a OSP version. The only product that is close is a 25 Pair Cat 5e Mohawk # M58527, which is an OSP cable. Again, I doubt that anyone makes this cable and they surely will not make it special for you for only a 30' run.....you are going to have to come up with another plan.

Joe Golan, RCDD

-------------------------------------

Joe Perkowski wrote:

-- ##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.cabling -

2510 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Reply to
Jgolan

You may be right....I could have sworn I saw a 50 pair Cat 5e at accu-tech last year....

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

I wouldn't assume so. Anyone who runs aerial Cat5 without so much as a cheap "clothesline" steel messenger isn't too knowledgeable. Cat5 has twists that strech out.

They've either been lucky, or had failures they attributed to other causes.

Nope, no mixed. I've only seen a few 50pr Cat5 cables (not -e, I doubt they could get 12 gigabit channels to work OK), all indoor grade. From what I hear, those cables were tough to make.

OTOH, mixing voice and data isn't a problem. 10baseT was designed for it, and I've never seen 100baseT fail due to mixing.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Actually, short is the _easy_ way to do fiber. The only thing tough about fiber is terminating the ends. But for a short run, you just get a patchcord. Then your lightening problems are solved.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Ya but the thing is the cost....I doubt theyll go for media converters.

Ill figure something out....

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

They only need one pair, and a cheap switch.

Still, it's their choice. Definitely a pay now or pay later.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Use this:

formatting link
Run whatever cable you want through it, from a couple of 25 pair cables for the voice side, and some Cat-5 for the Data.

Reply to
Touch Tone Tommy

Thats exactly what I needs....

Thanks Tommy!

Reply to
Joe Perkowski

Unless both ends have the same service power point, you're asking for a blown network with a lightning strike in the area. Say within a mile or so.

Reply to
DLR

I love how it is quite popular here to claim you have to use fiber or you'll get struck by lightning and kill your network.

The truth is businesses have been using copper for decades and the risks and prevention of electrical surges is well understood.

If your network is struck by lightning, fiber is not going to save it. If lightening strikes close enough where fiber would have made a difference, you will find plenty of electronics destroyed by electrostatic discharge irregardless. (You may even find your fiber crushed by the blast pressure inside the sheath)

You do realize that the type of fiber used in these situations is armored? It has a metal casing/sheath and the fiber buffer tubes are often woven in with metal cable for extra stength? (Not to mention using a guide wire, since I believe the original poster was talking about aerial cable)

Anyway, my po> > Ya but the thing is the cost....I doubt theyll go for media converters. > >

Reply to
none

none wrote in part:

I'm glad you like it :)

Yes, for power, phone and cable, which have service entrance protectors. Not TP ethernet which has more sensitive electronics and on-spec protectors are rare.

Entirely true. A direct strike destroys equipment. We are not talking about that.

No. Fiber is meant to help with _nearby_ (50-500m) strikes that do not damage stand-alone equipment.

Yes, but how can you possible achieve that during a nearby strike:

200m from Building A, and 250m from Building B's groundstake? A transient ground potential gradient of only 100 V/m (1000s is more likely) will put the groundstakes 5000V apart, and an unprotected TP ethernet line will destructively become a ground path.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.