wpa problems again...

I posted here a few weeks ago, that I had setup a business with WPA-PSK ( using a dlink router).... and had problems with network drives not being there when software opened up, and all-in-all just a general instability going on...

So I switched it to WEP and all was well, my plan was to go back in a few weeks after everything was more stable with the business setup, and switch it over to WPA again...

Another business asked about his security with his setup. He had WEP and he read articles about war-driving, etc...So we switched him over to WPA, with a netgear router. And he is having a horrible time with it as well... Today he called and said his network going down every 20 minutes. The other day, one of his computers lost their connectivity, and we were trying to remote desktop into it....we had to manually connect it again from that machine.

Someone said that it is the same as WEP in a sense, but I beg to differ. I am not exactly sure how it works, but I am sure of the results I have gotten. I know, usually I am against wireless anyways (always have been, always preferred a wired setup), but recently have been more liberal with my clients about the wireless, but now with all these problems with WPA, and the security risk with WEP, I am almost in the same boat again...

Am I crazy? Am I the only one having these "instability" issues with WPA?

Thanks....

Reply to
paranoid
Loading thread data ...

Get the latest firmware for the routers, and the latest O/S upgrades for the PCs, e.g. SP2 for XP.

Reply to
__spc__

WPA is just as stable as WEP on all of the systems I've set up.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
Steffo

You know, aside from WEP, WPA and 802.11i and VPN's, there are much more secure solutions than any of those for wireless out there!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Went and changed it to WEP, and not a lick of problems now.....I wont be using WPA untill it gets more into its own life....

Reply to
paranoid

"paranoid" wrote in news:ws76f.8$HW5.2@trnddc04:

Yes.

Reply to
McSpreader

such as.....

David Taylor wrote:

Reply to
Steffo

Talked to a collegue, and he is experiencing problems too....so I am not the only one. I also did some research on google groups, and I am not the only one.....

WPA in my opinion, is still in Beta testing if you ask me....

Reply to
paranoid

formatting link
and

formatting link
All of the above have government/military approvals and in the case of Fortress, takes about 10 minutes to set up, providing much greater security (AES256), no faffing around with EAP types, needs no PKI, doesn't do 802.1x and creates a non spoofable device ID, unlike MAC addresses. (Other stuff too).

Wireless can be secure but the typical AP vendor solutions necessarily aren't up to the job for government/healthcare/military/financial/gaming market usage.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Just because it isn't working well for you and a few others, even though it works fine for many others, and even though you haven't eliminated other things as product faults and cockpit errors as possible causes? By that standard pretty much everything is still in "beta". ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Cockpit errors ? What is there to screw up, you type in the key, am i missing something?

Product faults - same as Beta to me.....It is a hardware/software thing isnt it?

Reply to
paranoid

There's a lot more to WiFi setup than that.

Not really.

No, it's a particular product defect.

Bottom line: WPA is mature and reliable.

Reply to
John Navas

I have had a lot of problems with WPA and dlink products, but not with others like LinkSys or Asante. WEP seemed to work better with these routers but I have to say that I have had so many issues with Dlink that I now boycott them.

One Dlink DWL-7000AP unit will lockup totally when a certain laptop connects to it. I contacted Dlink support and they blame the laptop, which I don't believe because the laptop does not have any trouble anywhere else.

I now swear by Linksys WRT54 series wireless routers. I have had no significant problems with any of these I have installed.

Reply to
Allan Smith
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In on Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:56:36 -0400, "Allan Smith"

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.