WPA connection problems

Please please help! I have set up a WPA network that requires a password. I was able to access the wireless connection from one computer. My other computer is getting the below message. Can anyone tell me what the message means?

On the computer I have XP Professional SP1 I entered the network key and did not select "Enabled IEE 802 1.x authentication for this network" I received the following message:

The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters

Thanks Rich

Reply to
Richb
Loading thread data ...

"Richb" hath wroth:

Take a number.

WPA *REQUIRES* 802.1x authentication be enabled. Your problem is that you only have XP SP1 and this machine needs SP2 for WPA to work.

The message is bogus. XP SP1 only knows about WEP and it's giving it's best guess as to how to fix it. It's wrong. Get SP2 and install it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:09:27 -0400, "Richb" wrote in :

Either upgrade to SP2, or download the WPA add-on for SP1.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

Duh. I forgot about that add-on.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 19:35:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

In Windows XPland, there's a separate Authentication tab for IEEE 802.1x authentication, which is disabled by default for WPA-PSK or WEP when key provided automatically is unchecked, and should not be check (enabled).

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

In XP SP1, the authentication checkbox is usually off for WEP and for no encryption. The first release of the WPA supplicant also allowed it to be turned off. Using the wrong setting of 802.1x authentication caused connection problems and the infamous disconnect every 10 mins. MS did the right thing and made its selection essentially automatic in SP2. However, the OP is using SP1 where there's still the opertunity to do it wrong.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:52:50 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

That seems inconsistent with your earlier statement -- what am I missing?

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the help! Worked like a charm!

Reply to
Richb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.