WPA vs WEP problems...

formatting link
and

formatting link
.> Thanks for any info.

I assume the bars are your signal strength and the encryption method should not affect signal strength so I wouldnt rely on the bars as a test as it may just be a driver/software issue thats causing the bar difference. Have you tried downloading a file and comparing the times with each encryption method, does your wireless utility show a connect speed, besides bars?

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

I was using WEP on my WAP and notebook pc and always got atleast 4-5 bars no matter where i went in my house. I recently changed it to WPA pre shared key and now unless I am within almost arms reach of my WAP i get 2-3 (mostly 2) bars and sometimes none at all but when i change back to WEP i get the 4-5 bars again. Is this normal? What could be done to rectify this? I have a Linksys WAP54G with the optional 7dbi high-gain antennas installed

formatting link
and my notebook is a Sony Vaio PCG-K45
formatting link
. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Another Anonymous

Yes, sorry bars = signal and it fluxuates between 1.0 mbps and 36.0 mbps then 48.0 up to the 54 mark the closer i get to the WAP. when I'm in the single digit connection speed, it takes approx 2 mins to transfer a 1 meg file over my lan and web pages load at dialup speeds. Using WEP it takes 2 secs, and I stay at a consistant 54.0mbps connection. I've contacted Sony about drivers for specific hardware in this system already and they post no drivers on their site other than the mem stick, mouse drivers. The wireless lan in this notebook seems to be pretty speedy when signal is good but it seems like they may have taken the cheaper route when they chose the hardware.

Reply to
Another Anonymous

Taking a moment's reflection, Another Anonymous mused: | | Yes, sorry bars = signal and it fluxuates between 1.0 mbps and 36.0 mbps | then 48.0 up to the 54 mark the closer i get to the WAP. when I'm in the | single digit connection speed, it takes approx 2 mins to transfer a 1 meg | file over my lan and web pages load at dialup speeds. Using WEP it takes 2 | secs, and I stay at a consistant 54.0mbps connection. I've contacted Sony | about drivers for specific hardware in this system already and they post | no drivers on their site other than the mem stick, mouse drivers. The | wireless lan in this notebook seems to be pretty speedy when signal is | good but it seems like they may have taken the cheaper route when they | chose the hardware.

It probably is a poor implementation of WPA in the drivers for the card. If you can identify the card and chipset manufacturer, you may be able to find updated drivers without the assistance of Sony. I would recomment downloading Belarc Advisor to see if it can detect the card type:

formatting link

Reply to
mhicaoidh

formatting link
and

formatting link
.> Thanks for any info.

Just curious, are you using TKIP or AES. Does it make a difference if the pc has just been turned on (cool) and progressivley get worse?

Reply to
Airhead

I'm using TKIP, haven't tried AES and its the same from the time i turn on the pc till i turn it off. I'm gonna dig around the net a bit and see if i cant find some newer drivers for the wireless. Windows reports it as a LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter but so far it hasnt been an easy find.

Reply to
Another Anonymous

I'm gonna try that later tonight. Windows says its a LAN-Express AS IEEE

802.11g miniPCI Adapter and so far it hasn't been an easy find. I'll be able to put some more time into looking tonight. thanks for your help. hope it worx out.
Reply to
Another Anonymous

What about the latest drivers from Sony?

Have you looked at the mini-PCI card for markings? On the bottom of the laptop, there should be an FCC ID for the internal card. Try looking it up at the FCC site, or post it here.

formatting link
you can Google the FCC ID and figure out what other names the same card appears under.

A Google for "Express-LAN" Sony makes it look like an Intersil card. The Linux answers don't give you a driver per se, but they often tell what other driver works for a particular card under Linux.

Reply to
dold

Different PC, but loox like the same net card, tried to update driver and windows wouldn't let me. said the currently installed driver is a better match, bla bla... so I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it with this driver and I got a Code 10, device could not start.

I tried the search and returned nothing. the FCC ID is PPD-AR5BMB5 and in the search, PPD wasn't in their search criteria. I did, however find a 3rd party firmware for my WAP which lets me turn up the power output that seems to be working for now. this is actually kinda neat, it seems to unlock several features in the WAP that linksys didn't provide. Its the MustDie firmware v2.07

formatting link
can work for now, I upped the power output from 22mW to 44mW and I get

4 signal bars all the time again. I checked net stumbler for any close by WAPs and set the channel, etc. to something not being used in my area so hopefully I won't interfere with anyone.

Thanks for your help, I will keep digging around until I find something or I'll light a fire under Sony's ass and maybe they'll post drivers on their site for this.

Reply to
Another Anonymous

formatting link

Thanks for all your help. So far driver searches are coming up empty but I'll keep lookin, eventually somethings bound to turn up. I did, however find a 3rd party firmware for my WAP which lets me turn up the power output that seems to be working for now. this is actually kinda neat, it seems to unlock several features in the WAP that linksys didn't provide. Its the MustDie firmware v2.07

formatting link
can work for now, I upped the power output from 22mW to 44mW and I get

4 signal bars all the time again. I checked net stumbler for any close by WAPs and set the channel, etc. to something not being used in my area so hopefully I won't interfere with anyone. Thanks again.
Reply to
Another Anonymous

I found that on the FCC site. Atheros AR5BMB5. Sony PCG-K45 (US model) Wireless Laptop 802.11b/g Atheros AR5005GS

formatting link
Knowing that it is an Atheros chipset is good and bad. Bad because there is a lot of whining that it is the worst driver in the Windos XP arena. Good because there are other sources for the driver than Sony. Driver

Utility

Reply to
dold

Hey thanks heaps. I installed both files and it works great. I put my WAP back down to the default mW and I get 4-5 bars everywhere now. I also noticed that the driver I had was v 1.0.0.0 and this one is 3.2.x.x. Thanks again for all your help.

Mike.

Reply to
Another Anonymous

I generally don't like that... installing "toshiba" drivers on a "sony" wifi card... but if the old one doesn't work, and the new one does... This seems to happen often with WiFi, where the vendors don't seem to do anything with the product or the software at all.

I am getting more and more dismayed with Sony. I have a NetMD mini disc player. They have altogether abandoned it. software doesn't work, they don't upgrade it. My device isn't even on the web site anymore. No support. No upgrades. It's as if they dropped it on the market and moved on to something else.

Reply to
dold

I know what you mean. I do some Desktop PC work on the side for people. Lotsa gateway, dell, HP and a few custom builds come across my desk I've had to use a 3rd party driver on occasion that may work, but its still not necessarily right. I must say out of all of them I don't like HP (Never worked on a Sony before until this one). HP posts no drivers (or didn't used to, haven't worked on any for a while) which is what I found with this one. I got a good deal on it cause a store was going out of business and it was a display model. Seems that someone trashed windows on it so I thot I could fix it. Needless to say the wireless, video and modem drivers were nowhere to be found on sony's site and I spent a full week of poking and prodding the net looking for them. I finally called Sony and with no questions asked, they sent me a restore dvd. I was suprised and grateful in a sense. This is why I put my desktop pc together from the ground up. I know everything thats in it, where to get drivers and not have to worry about that if something fails.

wrote in message news:d05se5$5gs$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net...

Reply to
Another Anonymous

WAP with TKIP gives the most thoughput loss. try WAP with AES for almost no thruput loss.

in order of thruput loss from highest to lowest: WAP w/TKIP , WEP , WAP w/AES.

---redpill

Reply to
RedpIll

Are you sure about that? WAP-PSK (TKIP) and WEP encryption methods use exactly the same RC4 encryption mechanism for the payload and differ only in how they exchange the encryption key. They send almost identical amounts of management and payload frames. WPA2 or WPA-AES uses a much more complex algorithm that usually requires hardware support, but is often done on the attached computah (to save money) with a supplicant. However, again, the number of frames sent are identical with WPA and WEP. I would think that AES would have the most computing overhead but unless the processor is terminally overloaded, that should create any packet loss. I don't have a box that does WPA2 with AES but when I tested the other flavors of encryption, the thruput was almost identical with about a 10% worst case loss in thruput as compared to no encryption. Got any numbers for "thruput loss" with various encryption and cipher methods?

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.