Wireless Connection On Laptop Very Poor - Help.

Change channel on the router from say 11 to 6, or 6 to 1. Interference from other networks (among other electrical devices operating at

2.4GHz) will zap your signal.

Also, re-orient your aeriels on the router to lay them horizontal. Signal radiates around the aeriel in a doughnut shape.

Reply to
__spc__
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I have a Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G Router installed on my desktop PC and a Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G Notebook Network Card in my laptop.

My desktop PC is located upstairs in a front bedroom and when I try to get an internet connection on my laptop downstairs, it is very hit and miss.

There isn't a huge distance between the wireless router upstairs which is next to my desktop PC and my laptop downstairs.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way I can get a stronger signal on my laptop apart from the obvious answer of moving it nearer to the router? I would like to set up my laptop permanently downstairs but there's not much point at the moment. Do I need to get a better wireless router?

Any help is appreciated.

Jayne

Reply to
Jayne Beaumont

The wireless signal from your router radiates around the antenna a bit like a swingball going round a pole. So if your antenna is pointing up you will only get a good signal on that floor. If you want the signal to go to the floor above then lie the antenna horizontally and angled such that an imaginary disc drawn around the antenna will pass through the laptop's location.

Reply to
Tiny Tim
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
  1. Netgear 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit Model WGXB102 .
  2. You can get better range with MIMO technology (e.g., D-Link DI-624M and DWL-G650M ), although I don't know if it would be enough to solve your problem.
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.