here we go again- FIOS

Any one out there seen this new phone service and how it might work with alarms? It's a Verizon fiber optic phone and internet service.

Reply to
spike
Loading thread data ...

FIOS is just fiber to the premise. The only difference is that between the CO and the premise it's on fiber instead of copper. It is NOT VOIP.

Have it at the house here as well as many of our employee's homes and no equipment is the wiser. When they install they just reroute the wires from the existing Dmarc to the FIOS ONT on the side of the house. All internal wiring stays the same. Depending on how it was wired, they might goof up the RJ31x wiring but other than that there should be no issues with it.

Reply to
Steve Ryckman

would the phone service be ok for upload and downloading of panels with a modem too? how do you like their internet service. really fast?

Reply to
spike

Although I don't do uploading/downloading any longer since getting out of the installing side of the business - I've dialed into customers with PCAnywhere and other modem programs just fine with it. Faxing is fine as well. All the voltages are proper and there is no echo or anything like VOIP - it just sounds like a really really clean telephone line. No crackling or pops like a regular copper POTS line gets in bad weather.

Although the speed is good - the real advantage to it is low latency which lets you actually use the bandwidth to it's fullest advantage. Oh, and my Internet connection has only been down once in the last two years and thats because I was re-routing some wires in the attic.

If it's available in your area, I'd recommend to anyone they get it.

Reply to
Steve Ryckman

Premise? :^)

Who provides power for the fiberoptic interface at the house -- telco or subscriber?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

telco

formatting link

Reply to
spike

oops meant sub scriber not telco

Reply to
spike

It appears that the subscriber provides power for the device. If so, that leaves us with one of the same issues as VoIP -- loss of communication during a power outage.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

They provide a small UPS that wall mounts on the inside of the house/garage. Just plugs into an outlet. Their UPS only supplies power for telco though. It lasts about 24hrs normally, just uses a standard 6 or 7ah battery. The Internet ant TV service drops when power goes out - unless your a geek and have the ONT on your own backup power supply.

Reply to
Steve Ryckman

where's the voltage come from to run the analog inside phones?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

bzzzzttt. wrong again. the link I posted clearly states back up battery.

Reply to
spike

Reply to
nick markowitz
24 hours of backup should be fine. If it handles alarm signals at least as well as POTS they've got a winner. The only problem remaining I can see is it's Verizon. I don't know how well they perform in your neck of the woods but down here their service is pretty bad.

BTW, I called my telco provider in Brazil to reactivate my phone lines and DSL (1 Gig upload / 3+ download). They report that they finished the connection today. I'll know for certain when I arrive but that's one heck of a lot faster than Verizon in south Florida. The last time took them almost a month and they still had problems. It's a sad state of affairs when one of the largest providers in the USA is being outdone by a 3rd world telco.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Bzzzttt. Correct. Give that boy a qubie doll!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

What exactly do these figures represent? If it's "speed", you expect us to believe that a third world country has better DSL than what's available in North America?

According to

formatting link
only one ISP in Brazil comes close to the "download" connection speeds you've boasted.

I'd suggest you "review" their speed claims when you're there too (and demand a discount if they can't provide it):

"Down" "Up"

formatting link
1232 kbps 308 kbps
formatting link
968 kbps 257 kbps
formatting link
647 kbps 333 kbps
formatting link
3144 kbps 484 kbps
formatting link
615 kbps 98 kbps
formatting link
689 kbps 191 kbps

Not quite as sad as some ninny lying about it all...

Reply to
FIRETEK

I meant to type I called my telco provider in Brazil last week, etc.

No. They offer pretty much the same speeds and QOS. The difference is they can complete the order faster than Verizon.

The provider I use has already demonstrated better speeds than what you quoted. However, that was not the point. I was simply surprised, not to mention pleased, that they were able to get us connected so quickly, especially after the ridiculously long wait to get Verizon to do anything.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

quoted. However, that was not the point. I was simply

quickly, especially after the ridiculously long wait

Typical install time for FIOS here is one to two weeks for a weekday appointment and about three weeks for a Saturday or Sunday.

It's a completely different set of installers that are trained in FIOS and they only do FIOS work. On all the installations they've done for us they've gone out of their way to do things the "right" way and not just slap it in like DSL/Cable techs have done before. If you get their TV service, at a couple of our employee's homes they've completely pulled new coax to all the jacks if there was a question about the quality of the cabling there already.

Reply to
Steve Ryckman

It's actually not all that remarkable. I think his trick is that he actually reads material before commenting on it.

Bzzzttt. Correct. Give that boy a qubie doll!

Reply to
mikey

Sounds like I should find out if/when it is available in my area. You're right about their DSL installers. They screwed the job up completely. I have DSL and cable modem in my US office just in case one goes down. In Brazil I only have DSL but it works pretty much all the time. The only problems are infrequent power outages which so far have not lasted more than an hour or two. I doubt it's as good in smaller cities though.

BTW, what have you been up to since last we met? Been made a vice-president yet?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Oh, I've been here - just not feeding the trolls.

Reply to
Steve Ryckman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.