Zone Alarm Pro on server denying client access to 'Net from client laptop

If I shut down ZA on the desktop/server, all ICS works perfect! How can I get it to work from my laptop/client without turning off ZA Pro on the desktop/server? No firewalls are installed on the client, including no Zone Alarm. Excellent file sharing from host to client with ZA on. But no access from client to host with ZA on. If ZA is off, client/laptop has full access file sharing to desktop/server.

What I've tried: In "Advanced" This computer is an ICS/NAT gateway is checked, and

192.168.0.1 is the shown local address

192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 is in the "Trusted" zone and

192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 is in the "Trusted" zone

"Trusted Zone Security" is off with warning "Caution! Firewall is off" displayed.

Info:

Server desktop and client laptop Zone Alrm Pro version 6.5.722.000 desktop only WinXP/SP2 both machines

Client: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 1: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Server w/ICS Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.mx.comcrap.net IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 123.456.789.9 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 71.205.192.1

Reply to
Telly Me
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps you want to read this sentence again and try to understand its obvious implications. If you don't see them, please read another time.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

VB,

I appreciate your reading my request for information, and your answer. However, I see in many of your posts that you completely discredit Zone Alarm with no compromise.

All software, hardware, Hollywood movies, automobiles, Winter vs. Summer weather, governments... have their detractors. I put your negative views of Zone Alarm's usefullness in the category of someone with other preferences and other interests. That is, your views are not 100% correct and you are not an absolute authority.

Zone Alarm, while not a perfect product, and likely not the best firewall, is still quite good. I've been using it for several years, and I intend to continue using it.

Because I'm a newby to configuring firewalls, there must be many people that spot the problem and can make a suggestion for a quick remedy. There's no need for me to discontinue using Zone Alarm.

Thank you again, Telly

Reply to
Telly Me

Reply below

Hi Telly Me,

If you've studied the Networking pages in the Help File, with no joy, try clicking on the ZoneLabs User Forums link at the bottom of the page. You can search the posts for your problem, or post your own question there. Sorry, but I've never configured networking. Good luck.

charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

This is true.

I'm not claiming I'm "the absolute authority" or something like that.

I'm just claiming that I did not find one single useful functionality in "Personal Firewalls" in the means of security (with the exception what the Windows-Firewall does, too), and that no-one ever was able to show me one. But I did find many doubtful and even counterproductive functionalities in "Personal Firewalls".

Good for what?

Sincere condolences.

You used it for several years and you're a newbee in configuring it? WTF?

Unfortunately, you don't see the point.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Yep, always installed with the default settings. Used

formatting link
for testing, and got complete stealth status. Everything always worked fine except XP2's ICS. I see no need to change firewalls now, I just think it's about time I learned to configure ZA so I don't need to shut it off to access the 'Net from my client laptop.

Reply to
Telly Me

OMN!

formatting link
You just didn't understand, that "stealthing" is nonsense.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Reply below

Volker,

I doubt you'll discourage the poster from using his personal firewall, but you don't do other, less experienced users any favors when you don't at least offer an alternative protection. No protection is worse than inadequate (in your mind) protection. Give us all a break, and quit trolling this newsgroup, or offer your advice in a more positive way.

charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

Maybe. But such nonsense as "stealthing" I will not let uncommented until the last babe has realized, that this is horseplay.

I offered tips for protection here many times already. Maybe you want to read my postings in this group.

Maybe it's time for a FAQ.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.