Client access

Hello,

A while back I had heard a technology and wanted to ask you guys.

In a hotel we would like to give internet access to the clients. We have 8 switches connected to each other. What do I need to use in order to take clients to the internet regardless of their Ip addresses. The technology I am looking for is built in nomadix appliences but I do not know what it is.

For example clients has 192.168.0.2 gw 192.168.0.1 configured. He comes and connects his cable to the network. Our network is

172.168.0.0. Switch is 172.168.0.1 and the internet router is 172.168.0.2. And he can connect to internet with his own ip without even needing dhcp?

I hope I was able to describe it properly.

Thank you.

Reply to
Ozgur Ozdemircili
Loading thread data ...

What you need is NAT, Network Address Translation. Most firewall appliances, like PIX, and unix systems have the feature. So perhaps best way (and the cheapest one) is to install a server with FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux connect one interface to your lan, the other to Internet and turn a NAT on.

-- With best regards, Gregory Edigarov

Reply to
Gregory Edigarov

Except Ozgur needs this for a hotel environment, where everyone might be configured to a random IP address, with different hotel rooms possibly using the same IP address. Ozgur would like the equipment to automatically figure out what IP address range the user is using and work everything out so that the user doesn't even have to reconfigure to use DHCP -- e.g., if someone plugs in a system configured to IP address 123.45.67.89/24 that the system would talk to it using IP address 123.45.67.89, doing whatever NAT tricks were necessary in order to use public IPs to transport to the switch to be NAT'd back to whatever IP the user happens to have turned on. And the next room over might also be using 123.45.67.89 and the system has to keep the two distinct.

This feature was mentioned several years back,

formatting link
there was no resolution at the time.

Possibly the Cisco Building Broadband Service Manager would work:

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

back,

formatting link
but there was no resolution at the time.

work:

formatting link

Hello,

To the point Walter. I have been searching this for a wile and only some of the appliences has this capability.

I would really appreciate if you can contact me if you can come accross a solution.

Reply to
Ozgur Ozdemircili

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.