VTP password Server/client

I want to put a password on all of my switches here at work (VTP password.) And I have considered the fact that I might lose all of my vlan information when I start adding the password to my switches....

We have a single core 4500 with dual sup's. The rest are 15 x 3550's with uplinks to the 4500. The 4500 is the server the others are all clients. All with the same domain name, no password and same revision number.

I am thinking that I am going to lose telnet access to all of my switches when I add the VTP password to my core 4500 switch b/c the lack of VTP advertisements, does this sound right?

Is there an order of operation that I should go in to make this smooth? Or will I need to console into every switch after I add the password?

Reply to
william
Loading thread data ...

Hi William,

You may wish to investigate VTP Advertisements:

formatting link
Understanding and Configuring VLAN Trunk Protocol ( VTP ):

formatting link
As well as "Setting VTP Passwords" in the Cisco Press sample chapter VLANs and Trunking:

formatting link
Authored by David Hucaby, CCIE No. 4594 and Steve McQuerry, CCIE No.

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Exactly, Thanks Brad. I was having trouble figuring out if the Advertisements or lack of them would make the VALNS dissapear or not on the Client. I suppose that they do not, I unserstand that only the config revision # or change on the SERVER would do that.

Does that sound correctly understood to you? A mentor helped to clarify that it would not.

I read the VTP documentation and it did not define that specifiacally and I wanted to know what to expect.

Great > Hi William,

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
william

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.