Open wireless access but protect wired server and client?

Wireless router and wired XP server and client. Want to enable my customers access to internet with THEIR laptops but keep them out of the wired computers. How to do this?

Reply to
dbasedos
Loading thread data ...

On 21 Apr 2007 04:30:48 -0700, dbasedos wrote in :

You need wireless-to-wired isolation, ideally by getting a wireless router with that feature. (See hotspot routers in the wikis below.)

An alternative is to setup VLAN separation in DD-WRT firmware running on a suitable wireless router platform.

Yet another alternative is to use three low-end (cheap) routers:

+----------+ | Wired | | Router | +--+----+--+ | | +-----+ +------+ | | +-----+----+ +-----+----+ | Wired | | Wireless | | Router | | Router | +----------+ +----------+

That puts everyone on "double NAT" which generally works well, although it can break some (older) network apps.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi,

As John said, maybe wireless routers/AP already have a feature that allows segregation between wired and wireless networks.

...but, since you are asking, I guess yours doesn't.

If you have a relatively old computer sitting around that isn't doing anything useful, you can do exactly what you want by turning it into a captive portal.

Google "captive portal".

One is CP is ZoneCD, which I've used with great success:

formatting link

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.