Using ADSL connection with ZyXEL P645R-A1 and D-Link DI714P+

Please bear with me for a moment. This problem has been keeping me up for the last two days.

I have a small wireless home network running over D-Link's wireless router DI-714P+.

I also have a working ADSL connection with ZyXEL's ADSL modem/router P645R-A1.

Both the network and the modem run just fine on their own. I can only use one at a time because I have only a single NIC in my computer.

Naturally I would like to use the modem connected to the WAN port of the wireless router so that I can use the internet on a notebook with wireless support without switching on my desktop computer in the bedroom (or use the internet on both computers at the same time, etc.).

However what works well alone does not work at all together.

The basic settings I use are:

ADSL connection: same settings for wl/router and modem to connect to my ISP (an ISP in Thailand that frowns on what I am trying to achieve, i.e. sharing my connection),

IP address 192.168.1.1 for the modem,

IP address 192.168.1.2 for the w/l router,

modem plugged into the WAN port of the router,

w/l router connected to PC NIC by ethernet cable.

Once switched on, the modem establishes a connection to the internet. But the corresponding LED on the router shows that there is no connection. I can turn the LED on by changing my PPPoE settings to cable setting (dynamic IP) but that won't let me access the internet at all.

Anyway, I figure that either I must be doing something wrong or the ISP has a way of "seeing" what I am doing and blocks me off. Paranoia aside, let's say I do something wrong. Here's where I get confused (I am not new to computers and networking, but this here is a first time for me):

- does the ZyXEL router/modem which autoconnects to the internet prevent the D-Link router from performing the same task (i.e. the second connection attempt of the router is prevented by the existing connection of the modem?

- do I have the wrong settings on the ZyXEL with respect to NAT, DHCP or something else? By default it is set to be a DHCP server and don't even ask me about NAT :-)

- do I have the wrong settings on the D-Link (as above)?

- should I have bought a plain modem instead of a modem/router (for those who like to say "told you so!"?

- what would happen were I to connect the modem to one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port?

- and while we're at it: I use Zone Alarm for a firewall (I used to connect via USB ADSL modem before), with my internet access one day coming from the wireless network (or so I hope), will it still work? The firewall settings of both w/l router and modem are yet a bit too confusing for me.

According to the manuals for both equipment, it should be a simple "plug and play" affair :-(

Anything else? Ah yes: HELP! HELP!! HELP!!!

Three exclamation marks because I have volunteered (in the absence of any other willing staff) to set up a similar system at our office (ha! ha! ha!).

Thanks,

Roscoe

Reply to
Roscoe
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.