DHCP Question with USR8054 wireless access point / ZyXEL P652

Hi, If I understand right DHCP only needs to be used on one divice? Then which one and how..? On the ZyXEL under LAN DHCP it is set as "Server", change it to anything else and I no longer can connect to the Internet. On the USR wireless access point LAN / DHCP it's also set as "Server", disable it and again I'm no longer able to connect. Looking at the firewall logs on the ZyXEL I keep seeing what's being listed as an ATTACK from Source IP

192.168.1.33 to Destination IP 192.168.1.1 This takes place exactly every 30 seconds. 192.168.1.33 is the wireless access point.

paul

Reply to
paul
Loading thread data ...

You need one DHCP server on your network, and no more.

Lets assume the zyxel is your wired router. In that case, you have it set correct.

Is this an AP or a router? Either way you definitely need the DHCP server disabled, it should then forward DHCP requests to the server in the xyzel. Make sure a LAN port on the xyzel is connected to a LAN port on the AP.

I'd say your Xyzel's firewall is configured wrong and is blocking your AP from connecting or performing DHCP requests. Read the manual and find out how to configure it right. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

If you can't supply any more help than "RTFM" then your help is useless to me. Seems they left out the chapter on "The Correct way to connect a US Robotics Wireless Access Point/Router to a ZyXEL Prestige 600 Series ADSL modem".

BTW: I did disable the DHCP Server on the USR AP/Router again and as before I loose all capability of communicating with it. Had to push the reset button AGAIN to return it to the default settings.

Reply to
paul

*shrug* Then work it out yourself. Being rude to people who offer advice is a poor way to go about getting help.

And I assume you consider all my other comments useless too.

FCOL, did they also leave out the chapter on configuring your firewall, eg turning it off to eliminate that from the list of possible problems? Did they also remove their phone number and support email from the manual?

From wired or wireless clients? Never try to configure a wireless router from a wireless client, for obvious reaons thats doomed.

Basically, you dont provide enough detail. How are the units connected together? Which ports? What IP ranges? etc etc

FWIW I have an SMC and Actiontec router pair and they cooperate perfectly, configured as I mentioned earlier. I've also tried a USR router in place of the SMC, again worked fine. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.