Verizon DSL - Reducing Loop Length For Higher Speed?

That's the usual excuse they use, as if they really need to roll trucks and techs with wire-cutters (LOL). There are plenty of 'easy-to-try' techniques for measuring, mitigating and even removing the effects of DSL line anomalies such as bridge-taps and load coils (TDR for example). My suggestion would be read this information

formatting link
and call V back to complain. Eventually they may get tired of you and give you what you're paying for (or at least a better excuse). Good luck!

Kind regards,

dj

Reply to
dj
Loading thread data ...

It likely costs them $100 to $200 an hour to have a tech and truck out tracing a line for taps, coils, etc... If they take 3 hours at $100 how many years before they turn a profit? What if it takes 8 hours?

Reply to
DR News Reading

Hello Group,

I have been a Verizon DSL customer for over two years now and it has worked very reliably. I am currently subscribed to their 768K/128K offering. About 6 months ago I requested to be upgraded to their

1.5MB/384K offering, at which time they told me that I could not be upgraded do to the fact that we had long loop length's in our neighborhood with readings over 16,000 feet from the CO. My residence showed a reading of 16, 203 feet. When I spoke with a Verizon technician in our area about this, he said the actual footage to the crossbox from the CO that feeds our neighborhood was actually only about 7000 feet, with my residence only being about 10,000 feet. The extra cable footage was do to bridge taps, loading coils, etc.

Recently my next door neighbor ordered and installed Verizon DSL. I assisted with the installation and was surprised to discover his download speed was 1.4MB! When I called Verizon to inquire as to how he was able to get the high speed offering, they said it was because his residence was over 2000 feet closer to the CO, even though our houses are only about 25 feet apart and our dial tone is fed out of the same pedestal! When I asked how I could get my loop length reduced to be within the same range as my neighbors, they told me it couldn't be done as there was no procedure for that type of request, and that the 768K offering was the fastest I could get at this time.

I can understand from a business standpoint why Verizon wouldn't automatically reduce loop lengths where its possible, but is there a number I can call to make a special request to have them look into this? Just doesn't seem fair that my neighbor and I pay the same monthly charge for our DSL service but he gets twice the speed :)

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Regards,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Somerville

Yes, I agree with you that it will cost them some money up front which is why I mentioned that I can understand their position from a business standpoint. The thing that's confusing however is they claim to compete with Cable modem technology and say they value their customers, but when I mentioned that I may consider canceling my DSL service and go with Cable modem so I could get the faster speed, the manager told the representative to tell me I should do what I feel is appropriate :)

Thanks again for your input.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Somerville

Thanks for the information DJ, I will check out the web site! Hopefully it will give me some additional "ammunition" to go back to them with to keep pushing until they offer to help (or as you said a better excuse) :)

Regards,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Somerville

Welcome to the real world. Marketing doesn't report to engineering in most public companies and the ads put out by most companies don't match the reality of the world.

Reply to
DR News Reading

Two ways:

Order ISDN. They then have to clean up a pair for it. Once it's working, move back to POTS and order DSL..

Write a letter to a big enough bigwig that they actually fix things..

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.