Replacement for 5861

Hello, I have had a EN 5861 with what was Ameritech (now SBC) service for 3 years. The unit died about a week ago, and I bought an EN 5360. I am having difficulties getting the 5360 to connect on a linux box (I get "LCP terminated by peer" error), and I am concerned that maybe the

5360 is somehow not compatible with the Ameritech/SBC service.

Right now, I am simply trying to eliminate one thing at a time. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Snowy
Loading thread data ...

There have been a rash of 5861 failures due to their internal power supply. It is possible to get a replacement ps for about $25, but perhaps you just pick up another 5861 on ebay where they are dirt cheap. This assumes that you know how to reconfigure a 5861 to do what you want.

The 5360 was a totally dumbed-down bridge that is not equivalent to the 5861 though your service may be compatible. There is no way to interact with it to get diagnostic info, unlike the 5861. For a more modern router than the 5861 try a

5200 that has the full router firmware.

You might also snoop around on the forums at dslreports.com to get detailed info on what works with your service and a linux box.

Reply to
George Pontis

I can't help with the linux, but the 5360 is one that SBC was shipping up until about 18months ago. (followed by the 5100A and since January, the

5100B).

Call of the night:

End User: "I'm hearing voices on my telephone since I installed my filters." DSL First Tier: "That sounds like a phone company issue, call 611 and let them know."

Reply to
Kay Archer

This is the 2nd 5861 I've had die, both with the ps failure. I wasn't aware there were ps replacements available, but I didn't really look into it.

Okay, thanks for that. It sounds as if the 5200 is a better fit.

Tom

Reply to
Snowy

I have a few hundred 5861's in stock if you are still looking for one. Refurbished 90 day warranty $45.00 each Thanks, Shannan Young snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net

formatting link
Southwest Data Technology, Inc.

401 S. Sherman Street Suite #211 Richardson, TX 75081 972-739-7010 972-739-7013 (Fax)

Reply to
SWDT, Inc.

Where do?

-- Lady Chatterly

"An automated response program that is similar to an artificial intelligence." -- Gunner

Reply to
Lady Chatterly

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.