Weird Routing to Default Gateway (SBC+2Wire+CIDR/29 NETWORK)

Hello, I am using sbc dsl with a 2wire 1800HW modem. I have a cidr/29 static network from them.

I am finding that the the only way to to make my connection work which is a 8 ip cidr/29 network is to pick the default gateway ip address to be below the block of valid cidr ips.

The cidr is: 69.227.248.96 : NETWORK 69.227.248.103 : BROADCAST 69.227.248.102 : DEFAULT GATEWAY (as documented from sbc) 69.227.248.97-101 : 5 USABLE STATIC IPS

I find that both on windows and in openbsd if I use a default gateway address of 69.227.248.95 i get connectivity. If I use the sbc documented default gateway address of 69.227.248.102 I can't get any connectivity.

Because this is a CIDR/29 network I can only get the bogus default gateway ( 69.227.248.95 ) to work on openbsd if I fudge the network mask to 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.255.248. With the correct netmask of 255.255.255.248 openbsd will not route add the default gateway address of 69.227.248.95 ( obviously ).

Who administrates the default gateway? is this a modem issue or a sbc internet routing/setup issue?

Any general comments on this situation?

Thanks, -Tom-

Reply to
torsi
Loading thread data ...

I have a very similar confiugration, SBC+Speedstream 5100+CDIR/29

Network. I don't think the problem lies with the modem itself. I have

tried talking to their tech support multiple times but I have not been

able to get any straight answers. Right now all of their tech support

is outsourced to india I believe. I'm planning on purchasing a 2wire

modem in the next week or so, I'm sure I'll run into the same issues.

I'll try to post again if I find out any more information.

Reply to
jakewert

jakewert ( snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.earth.universe.org) wrote: : : I have a very similar confiugration, SBC+Speedstream 5100+CDIR/29 : Network. I don't think the problem lies with the modem itself. I have : tried talking to their tech support multiple times but I have not been : able to get any straight answers. Right now all of their tech support : is outsourced to india I believe. :

Yes...

formatting link
A lively chat with 'Floyd'

Original link wrapped to 2 lines:

formatting link
file=/chronicle/archive/2003/02/19/BU92987.DTL&type=business A lively chat with 'Floyd'

formatting link
SBC's 'Floyd' attracts PUC's eye

Original link wrapped to 2 lines:

formatting link
file=/chronicle/archive/2003/02/21/BU227355.DTL&type=business SBC's 'Floyd' attracts PUC's eye

--Jerry Leslie Note: snipped-for-privacy@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Reply to
leslie

I thought the 2wire was just a modem/router for NATing a single public PPPoE IP. Does it have configuration for using it with a /29 static block? Routers compatible with static block on SBC PPPoE are listed at

formatting link
which should work fine with a

5360, 5100a, or 5100b set to allow computer to do PPPoE (computer in this case would be the router).

Maybe there is confusion about what is default route for which machines. The router should have netmask 255.255.255.255 on its public WAN and only a default route to the remote PPPoE IP. If the public /29 block is passed through the router, LAN IP of router should be an IP within the /29 block with 255.255.255.248 netmask (no default route on that interface).

Computers behind the router would have netmask 255.255.255.248 and default route to LAN IP of router (or modem/router) doing the PPPoE.

Unless you find verification that the 2wire is suitable for working with a /29 public IP block, I would look for other methods that are known to work properly.

Reply to
David Efflandt

I am sure you are finding that the the only way to to make your connection work which is a 8 ip cidr29 network is to pick the default gateway ip address to be below the block of valid cidr ips.

I'm not exactly sure what the technical issue is but I believe some sort of UNIX system registry stops in 2038.

Music is much less centralized. The general trend is away from "computer generated" music and more toward real people playing real instruments.

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out of it but tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and no-one dares criticize it.

-- Lady Chatterly

"For some reason LC's Desire to have sex with a bag didn't show up on this server..." -- Bob Officer

Reply to
Lady Chatterly

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.